Thursday, March 29, 2012

Trendsetters and Tramp Stamps

This week absolutely flew by.
Thursday night and I cannot wait to sleep in until 6 like the rebel I am...clean my house...workout...and then get some sun on my patio.  That's poor-folk sunbathing...when the view is not of the ocean, but rather of your neighbor's fence and the sound of their horrible dog barking every 5 seconds like he's got turrets.  But that's my Friday plan....ME time.

It was a pretty normal day at the gym.  I had a new client this afternoon....9 year old soccer player.  When I look on the sheet and see "DOB __/__/2003" I immediately feel old and think back to what I was doing in 2003.  College....so if I don't remember, it never happened.  Point is, I felt old at that moment.
I was pretty blown away by this girl.  Her foot work and mechanics were impressive for a 9 year old, and just naturally athletic.  There are some things you simply cannot teach.  It was refreshing, and hopefully made a few of my slackers feel bad when they saw a prepubescent kid smoking them in exercises like she squat-jumped her way out of the womb.  And if you're reading this, you know who you are.  Bring your A-game on Monday...no excuses... ;)

My own workout today was awesome.  Back and triceps.  I spent majority of my back-work on traps and lats, but had to throw in some barbell row just to tap off the meathead workout.  I wasn't up for listening to music during my cardio, so I watched tv instead.  What Not To Wear was on so of course I had to watch it.  I could nominated about 9 people for that show.  9 relatives.  I enjoy that show....until they cry.  They ALWAYS cry.  At that point I changed the channel to LA Ink.  While the covering-the-entire-body-with-random-tattoos is not my thing, no one picks a fight with the guy who has a spider on his face.  Its interesting...so I watch.  Thankfully, the time flew by and 45 minutes later I was hitting the showers.  Thursday workout DONE. 


Soooo...
I just got off the phone with a woman who I've trained off and on for the past 2 years and who recently took a little training hiatus due to injury and other issues going on in her personal life.  She's ready to roll once again, but she kept saying "I'm so embarrassed by how out of shape I am!...I'm sorry, its embarrassing...".   Honestly, I've heard this several times before, and I literally want to shake the person every single time.  Embarrassed?  Towards me?!  This is my job,...this is what I do,...don't be embarrassed by it, be motivated by it.  Its a wake up call to YOURSELF for the sake of YOURSELF.  The answer is not to induce self-pity or anger for the state you're in, but rather to recognize it for what it is, (in most cases a culmination of poor lifestyle choices),  and choose to move forward.  I can see why she/others may feel that way, but believe me, as trainers we are not thinking about that.  We are simply eager to get you headed in the right direction...physically and mentally....and yes, it has to be both.

Well, its almost past my bedtime and I am practically plastered to this chair.  Tomorrow is FRIDAY people, get pumped.......I'm so pumped I can't move.  Niiiiight!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, woke up this morning REALLY tight and sore! :) Wanted to say thank you for that! Some days I absolutely LOVE feeling sore, feels great knowing I worked a few muscle groups that haven't been pushed in awhile. :) I may look like I'm walking with something shoved up my butt, but that's okay, I'm going to enjoy feeling like this for the whole day. Thanks for the great workout yesterday!
    See you next week for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...nice! I walk like that at least 4 out of 7 days a week...what a great feeling ;) Excellent work yesterday...enjoy your weekend and I look forward to seeing you next week!

      Delete