Wednesday, March 28, 2012

17 Year Old Birth Control

My Wednesday started with an unusual amount of coffee...my pumpkin spice to be exact.  I would have snorted it this morning if I thought I wouldn't get second degree burns.  I was in quite the mental fog during my 5am commute.  You know those mornings when you get to work but you're not exactly sure how you got there?  Yup,...one of those.
I watched some Tosh.O last night, which isn't exactly the most calming tv, but it sure beat the Sunday-night-freak-out I experienced from watching Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I managed to fall asleep by 10, but should have been in my REM by 9...urrr...

I had three 17 year old boys by 6:30am.  At least its early enough that they are too tired to screw around...although, I am fully aware they are capable.  When they are in rare form I swear off having children and consider a tubectomy at the age of 28.  Boys will be boys.  Thankfully, they got their work done this morning without me having to threaten anyone...I really try not to do that before 9am...sort of messes up the whole "chi" of my day.  After 9, fair game.

I had a great conversation today with a female client about the whole body-image issue.  It comes up more than people might think.....among ALL ages, not just the young girls.  The gist of it was that we all struggle with it from time to time and become our own worst critics.  Sometimes I fail to reiterate to my clients that I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THIS and have MY OWN "fat" moments.  Honestly, I don't know a single woman who doesn't.  Its great to see relief from them when I'm open about this, and if my husband were there he would definitely say that I have my moments.  That's life.  That's part of being a human being.  But the goal is not to get to a place where we never have those thoughts.  No, that's unrealistic.  The goal is to be able to MANAGE those times better with a healthy perspective and reverse/throw out illogical thinking with self-appreciating, empowering, realistic thoughts.  Its about being the healthiest YOU at whatever age or chapter of life you're in.  And even more importantly, a healthy YOU looks nothing like a healthy ME, or the person next to you, or your best friend.  Some people have incredible genetics...I hate them too.  But get over it. ;)
And seriously, if you're really struggling in this department, I would encourage you to talk to someone.  It can become a critical situation faster than you think and lead to self-destructive behavior.  Believe me, I didn't just wake up one day in college and decide to become anorexic or bulimic.  Be proactive.

On a lighter note, my workout went well today.  Its still hard for me to "back off" of legs somewhat, but necessary for my goals right now.  I did legs and core today,....no cardio.  Highlight of my day, ha.  Doing cardio on leg day is about as fun as sitting on a sunburn.  Ladies, you can appreciate this.  Guys, you can't which is fine, we love you in spite of your glow-in-the-dark thighs.  Keep them covered.
Tomorrow's workout is back, triceps, and cardio.  Looking forward to it....shocker.

Just finished an amazing dinner of roasted veggies and mahi mahi.  If you don't like mushy-cooked veggies, this method is awesome and full of flavor:
I cut carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, bean sprouts, and clover sprouts.  Place them in a baking dish, lightly spray with oil and add sea salt and a garlic/parsley mix.  Broil on low for about 7-8 minutes, mix it around with a spoon, then broil another 7-8 minutes (depending how cooked you want them).  The edges should be lightly blackened, and the veggies still crisp.  Excellent flavor!

Ok, now that my arthritis is flaring, its time to sign off.  My God, I wrote a book.  Have a wonderful night folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment