Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Respect Your Machine

I am actually sitting at the dinner table while its still light outside.  This rarely happens.....I won't complain.  Wednesdays are generally long, and when I hit "my wall" at 2pm, I hit it pretty hard.  I just wanted to lay down.  On the floor, on the desk, treadmill, it really didn't matter.  Just give me a horizontal surface and I can fall asleep any afternoon...especially Wednesdays.  Its at those times that I keep twitter close by for a few laughs to keep my going.  Yes, I have a twitter account (MFSince1983), and yes I was anti-twitter for awhile, but what the heck...the flesh is weak and I gave in.  I don't follow anyone that is going to be dramatic on there....its a "tweet" for God sake.  And no, I will not get serious on there either.  I keep it light-hearted with a nice dose of sarcasm...just like I like it.  Join the bandwagon...its free stalking.

I had a great workout today...legs and core.  Doing ab exercises always make me nauseous...got a little carried away on leg raises and kneed myself in the forehead.  Seriously.  If I told my family they'd probably ask if it broke my patella.  They like making fun of the fact that I have the same hairline as my 58 year old dad...except his is supposed to recede.  Mine just looks like I could pretty much headbutt anything and dominate like a champ.
...Not quite sure how I get on these topics...


I had to give a client a little pep-talk today over the phone.  First, let me say that one of the best things a trainer can do for the sake of their professional relationship with a client is understand a person's relationship with exercise.  What I mean by that is,...is it a have to because of health risks, is it an enjoyable aspect of their day, is it an I'm-going-to-push-until-I throw-up mentality they possess, is it maybe even an addiction, or perhaps something they will only do to the bare minimum just to say they workout.  Understanding this is key when a client sets goals, complains of joint pain, seeks motivation to keep going, etc...
My client calls and says she's been in the hospital hooked to an IV this morning.  I am immediately shocked and completely thrown off because this is a very healthy and fit woman.  We talk for a long time about the events leading up to her getting sick and just feeling horrible for over a week.  But what blew me away was her actually apologizing for canceling her session and simply wanting to take it easy for a couple of days.  Seriously?!  Fever...migraines...hospitalization....an apology?  I quickly had to talk some sense into this woman.  She'd pushed and pushed and now was to the point where she struggled to allow herself to rest and more importantly be OK with it.  In that moment, she needed to respect her body by backing off.  Her expectations exceeded what was reasonable and even healthy at that time.  By the end of our conversation she was laughing and thankfully calmer.

I sat there laughing for a minute or two afterward because for A LOT of people its the exact opposite....they get a freak'n hangnail, and there I am trying to convince them that it won't effect their squat form and to keep moving.  I am always amazed by this.  So a better option would be to just stop, continue to get out of shape, put even more strain on your joints, decrease your life expectancy, and complain about the very things you can control?!  Give me a break.

On the same note, I did an initial evaluation today.  I go through basic stats- height, weight, percent body fat....do a functional movement screen...cardio assessment,...and then finish with a few basic strength tests.  Honestly, it is nothing major.  By the end, the man was laid out on the PT table, dizzy, and saying he felt completely spent.  Sad, but I see this more often than I'd like.  So I finally asked him if he truly thought he'd come in there and perform like an Olympic athlete.  It was a wake up call.  We compare ourselves to the average American, but the problem is that the average is overweight, out of shape, and on the cusp of major health problems that EVERYONE pays for. 
The man starts Monday.
I'm about to rock his wanna-look-better-naked world.  Game time.
I'll casually roll off my soap box now...

Time for a some shut-eye.  See you all on twitter ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment