Monday, March 19, 2012

Hangovers and Sore Forearms

I saw way too many hungover clients today.
Walking into the gym in "recovery-mode", you might as well have a target on your back.  Kudos for them for not canceling, sucking it up and being there, but I honestly have no sympathy for any struggle at that point.  Truth be told, I hope they feel horrible so perhaps next time they'll think twice before drinking like their liver is invincible.  Wake up call....you're not 21 anymore.  And if you're reading this under the age of 21, archive it...I might as well be speaking German to you right now.

On a softer note, if they had thrown up, I would have cleaned it up.  Mainly because we don't have any of that powder stuff teachers used to put over vomit in the class.  What a horrible memory....not sure which was worse, seeing little Johnny spew his pop-tarts or the smell of disinfectant on top of Johnny's vom.  Like spraying "Ocean breeze" in the bathroom...great, now it smells like a crappy ocean. 
Basically, it was a rough morning for a handful of folks...

My workout didn't exactly go as planned today.
I went to hit balls yesterday and my left forearm was so tender to the touch that doing any type of bicep exercise simply wasn't going to happen.  Problem is, I get death grip on the club and I hold on for dear life.  I try to imagine the whole "cow utter" thing...soft touch...light grip...etc.  That lasts for oh about 4 balls and then I'm practically giving my cow a mastectomy.
All that to say I had to switch the plan a little.  I hit back, shoulders, and finished up with some cardio.  Back exercises felt great...again, more emphasis on my upper back.  I kept reps 10-12 on most exercises and threw in a couple of drop sets and supersets with my shoulder routine.  It felt good to mix it up, and overall it was a solid lifting day.

While I was doing my cardio I read a great article on motivation - where it stems from and how to hold on to it.  To be completely honest, I do not see how anyone could not want to be healthier for themselves, but I'm afraid that particular population is growing.  The article basically hit on one major point.....that motivation that lasts and genuinely drives us has to come from within.  We often hear others list a person or people who are motivating, but when it comes down to it, if you don't possess the internal desire to do X,Y, or Z, it won't happen.  Period.  And its not always about the actual goal or end result.  Sometimes, the motivating factor is simply the value you place on your commitment.  For instance, you want to lose 40 pounds.  When the weight initially starts to come off pretty easily, that in itself fuels your motivation....the goal....actually seeing the weight go.  However, when weightloss stalls and you're giving all you can to workouts and eating clean, THAT'S when gears shift and motivation must stem from somewhere deeper....and internal vow you made to yourself to press on because you're worth it.
The toughest thing for me to swallow as a trainer is that I, nor anyone else for that matter, can actually give you that motivation.  At some point its a personal decision. 

Well, its nearly passed my bedtime.
If I want to remotely be able to function at 4:30 I better get my rear in bed.  Big day tomorrow....love me some Tuesdays...

No comments:

Post a Comment