Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Mmmmm....Spandex

Not sure where this end-of-day-energy came from, but holy moly I will not complain.  This is great.  Don't get me wrong, I am in no mood to run 10 miles or 1 for that matter,...it just means on a scale from 1 to 10 on how likely I am to lay/bang my head on the kitchen table I'm currently at a 4 instead of an 8.  I'll take it.

The day was fairly normal,...well, as normal as any of my days are.  I tapped off my morning with 2 ladies who keep me laughing the entire time.  They like to work hard, but at the same time struggle with the whole notion of struggling in the gym.  "When is it going to be easy Meredith?!"  Uhhh....its not...and it shouldn't.  I laugh because I feel like I have this conversation quite often.  Why do we think a valuable workout should be fun and easy 100% of the time?!  Do you expect your kids to be well-behaved all the time?  No.  Why?  Because its unrealistic.  Do you expect to feel alert and energetic all the time?  No.  Because its unrealistic.  Do you expect your spouse to never get on your nerves?  No.  Because its unrealistic.  You get my drift?  Like many things in our lives, workouts and our fitness journeys will have waves of struggle, success, fun, anger, fatigue, great achievements, etc...you name it, and you'll experience it in whatever fitness arena you choose to devote your time.  EXPECT it.  EMBRACE it.  Then continue to move forward with unconditional respect and appreciation for ALL that culminates to produce a healthier, happier YOU.
 One thing I love about fitness and workouts is that you get exactly what you put in.  No pointing fingers, no blaming others, and full ownership for achievements and personal goals met.  Its the ultimate responsibility...all yours...to make of it what you will.  At the end of the day you can either bask in your exhaustion from giving all you had, or in regret knowing you could have given more.  In my experience, the latter cuts much deeper.

On that note, my workout today was great.  I only had shoulders and cardio, and pretty much couldn't lift my arms by the end.  I wish I'd taken before/after measurements of my shoulders because I can see a world of difference from a couple years ago.  2 inch increase in my biceps, so I bet the shoulders have increased at least a couple as well.  Explains why I get stuck in shirts all the time while shopping.  Attempting to get out of non-spandex material in a 4' x 4' room is a health hazard/Houdini maneuver.  Yes, I've had to get assistance before.  They probably no longer work there.

Tomorrow is leg day.  Ah yes, leg day.  This will be interesting.  I've really worked to stream-line my legs a bit more and backed off of back squats for a few weeks, wide leg press, and heavy lunges.  Its working...but I do miss 4-6 reps on squats.  Besides the adrenaline rush from all the blood leaving my brain and heading south, I love lifting really heavy.  6 reps is perfect for my ADD.  Counting to 15 is like playing marco-polo with that kid who actually gets out of the pool while yelling "polo".  Never ending.  By the way,....that kid has no friends.

Well, I've got a little more work to do before my butt hits the sheets.  Get your mind right for hump day!

.....and somewhere in the world someone is wondering "what the heck is hump day???"....oh my poor child...

No comments:

Post a Comment