Saturday, March 24, 2012

58 and Still Going Strong...

Saturday morning, 7am.
Amazingly, I just woke up about 30 minutes ago....yeah, slept in later than 5:30...craziness.  I was drained though.
Even though Friday is technically my day off, I was running around like a mad woman getting ready for my dad's birthday party.  I'm pretty demanding when it comes to hosting things that no one bring anything.  My little brother's girlfriend is still getting used to this....I basically have to threaten people.  Story of my life.  I want them to eat, enjoy themselves, and not worry about anything. 
We had a blast...


Despite the hectic schedule, I was able to fit in a back/core workout.  I was rolling through everything with about 30 seconds rest between sets because of the time-crunch, which definitely made it more exhausting.  Good workout,...today will be cardio.  But first I've got to suck down 2 more cups of coffee....I'm in rare form right now.
I honestly cannot imagine not drinking coffee every morning.  Ok, its starting to kick in...my hands are sweating.  My God, I am a human-broiler.  This is ridiculous.

I had a great conversation with Kelly last night about eating clean and food-prep.  She's really striving to revamp their fridge and pantry to eat whole, natural foods and limit processed stuff.  This is huge and I enjoyed sharing some recipes/tips.  The average American diet comes from a box, can, or bottle and we're chronically deprived of all the nutrients in real food.  Take a look at your daily intake.  How many times are you eating something processed?  Guess what?  That's not what your body was made to consume.  Trying to lose weight?  Throw out the box and buy fresh.  Yes, it can get pricey, but the cost of health issues later in life due to poor choices NOW, is far far greater. 
We are addicted to instant gratification and convenience.  Get over it.  What's not convenient?  When you get to the point when everyday tasks and functional movements become too difficult to perform.  When you become winded after 1 flight of stairs.  Type 2 diabetes at the age of 30.  Blocked arteries.  Must I go on?...

So here's a challenge for your weekend, and we'll start with baby steps...
* Go an entire day without eating ANYTHING processed.  So basically, whatever you eat must only have 1 ingredient....(examples: fruits, veggies, lean meat, greek yogurt, regular rolled oats, coffee and tea are fine, nuts...)

Some of you may have to get creative....and others of you may have to do a complete overhaul of your fridge.  Its worth it.  Respect your body.  You're only given one.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your dad! Did you make that entire spread yourself?! Wow is all I can say. Looks delicious and beautifully presented. :)

    I love your pants in that picture! Hope you're doing well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady! Yes, I did that spread...I'm all about the presentation :) The cake was from Madhatter's...no shot I could have made that thing, ha!

      Those pants are my fave...whenever I wear them around Payton, she always comes up to me and asks "Mena, why you got holes in your pants?"....its so cute

      Delete
  2. It is super easy for people to get all processed stuff....I try hard to give my boys fresh stuff! They love veggies and all fruit! I try to get atleast 2 meals with veggies in and all three end with fresh fruit! Lunch is tricky, usually swiss cheese with deli-select meat on whole wheat bread...but hey it is better than peanut butter and jelly right?!?! Any tips you have are ALWAYS welcome....you should post those sometime!! I have to say with kids it is hard to give up the animal crackers and goldfish though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh fruit and veggies sound awesome for the boys...PLUS, it keeps their taste buds accustomed to natural sugar/flavors! As far as lunch options go, the sandwiches are great choices, but you want to keep the deli meat as natural as possible. SO, another option would be to bake a turkey breast (or whatever lean meat you think they'd eat) and slice it thin to last for the week. Requires a little bit more work, but you avoid all the chemicals and its actually cheaper per pound.
      Will they eat yogurt? That's a quick and easy option that you can find all natural/organic and let them add whatever fruit they want. And kudos if they'll eat greek yogurt...loaded with protein and only 1 ingredient! I'll try to come up with a list of kid-friendly choices and post it...great idea!

      Delete
  3. YES they both love yogurt, Weston eats any kind......and Gunner does mostly the yobaby right now, will transition him after he turns a year and is off breast milk! Never thought of doing the meat, I do get the rotiserrie chickens at Harris Teeter (my favorite grocery store) sometimes as a time saver for quick wraps or quesadillas. I am super lucky that I have boys that like to eat, which can be a good and bad thing at times. Must be the Powell genes!!

    ReplyDelete