Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Walking boldly...

It's 1:00 and I'm about 2 steps away from a nap.  I didn't get to bed as early as I'd hoped last night...I came through the door at 7:20, changed clothes, made my dinner, put laundry away, made my husband's dinner, cleaned up, and before I knew it the clock said 9:30 and I was still standing in the kitchen.  I can't imagine what life will be like when I have kids.  They will have to be self-sufficient by the age of 5 to last in our house...I'll have those jokers changing their own diapers.

Ah yes, Tuesday...you know what that means....SQUATS.  Strange, but I was actually looking forward to doing squats.  Perhaps after doing squats second in my workout instead of first last week, I was ready to get them over with from the start.  As I said in yesterday's post, I am keeping reps a little lower and weight pretty high to maintain strength as I start decreasing my calories.  Thus, my workout began with 5 sets of 8 squats.  I got to set 3 and my legs were getting pretty tired, but I had this thing in my head that I was going to squat 200 pounds today.  Ok, normally when I determine stuff like that its the day before, and so I have 24 hours to mentally prepare myself....AND, it would be on a day when I only have 3 sets instead of 5.  But noooo, I decided to do it on my 5th set of squats.  So I took 2 minutes rest after my 4th set, loaded the bar, and squatted the weight like it was my job.  I wanted to do 200 pounds, so I did.

Here's the thing, those moments are powerful.  When we realize that its not about proving something to another human being, but rather proving something to ourselves.  It's then that we not only gain confidence to push further, but the belief in our capability catches up with our actual ability.  Its amazing to me that I have clients that want me to be proud of them for accomplishing something in the gym.  The truth is, I already know they are capable....I'm just opening a door for them to experience true struggle and success, and ultimately believe in themselves.  Then, all of a sudden they cannot hide under the comfortable shelter of self-doubt and fear...but can, and must face the world boldly.  And this is reason #1 why I love my job...

Today's workout:
Squats 5 x 8
Single leg, leg press 3 x 8 each
Leg extension 4 x 10
Overhead rope extension 3 x 10
Lat bar press-down 3 x 10
Single arm tricep extension on cable 3 x 10 each

Well, I've got a few minutes for a quick nap and then on to my afternoon... My challenge to you today:  The next time you are in the gym and doing an exercise, bump up the weight on the last set.  Buckle down, know that you will complete the set...then do it....and relish the sense of accomplishment afterward.  You are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment