Friday, November 12, 2010

DETAILS

It's amazing how easily we get addicted to our own hectic schedule and adrenaline.  We left for the beach this morning and arrived by lunch.  I was on the couch and asleep less than an hour later.  Getting away from my typical daily grind and business haven proven to be something we both needed.  On some level, my brain and body are so confused and a little uncomfortable with no to-do list or set schedule.  My OCD is craving a fix.  But honestly, I need some down time.  Like I can finally breathe for a little while.  The ride down here was so funny at times.  Hearing my husband go off about sports issues is hilarious....we're probably the only couple who talk about how much weight we can squat and how to engage more core/glutes, for a 30 mile stretch down the highway... A little ridiculous I know.

Then we started analyzing the difference in college/amateur athletes and professional athletes and concluded that the answer is consistency.  That's the difference.  The talent and potential can be there...the ability can be there...but if you're inconsistent, you'll never make it.  But what produces consistency?  Practice is only part of the equation.  It's valuing every aspect of training,...every rep, every set, all that culminates to making someone great at whatever sport they pursue.  I think too often we put more emphasis in one area or another and neglect the overall balance that must exist.  Attention to every detail...because every detail is important.  Ok, I'll stop preaching now...but it definitely got me thinking about my own journey back to competing.  I look back to my last two shows over 4 years ago, and I just honestly was not focused on the details like I should have been.  I hate it, but it is what it is and now I've learned....

Well, I decided to take today off.  Actually, my body decided for me.  If you asked me to do anything that involved moving my legs faster than a measly walk, I might hurt you...or just say no.  I am still very sore and just plain tired.  I might go for a jog tomorrow...but only if I get some good sleep tonight.  Right now its not looking too good.  The couple staying in the condo next to us is on their honeymoon, completely drunk, and have been blasting music like a frat party for the past 9 hours.  This could be a long weekend to say the least.... My chair is vibrating as I type.

We went out to dinner tonight, and I downed some salmon like it was my last meal.  Its funny when I order...the waiters hate me and probably spit on my food in the back.  I order everything the exact opposite of how its supposed to be prepared, with sauces on the side, etc etc... The glaze on the salmon was definitely not olive oil....it was probably saliva.

Calling it a day....Cardio tomorrow and Sunday, then back to the gym on Monday.  Can't wait.

Success is in the details...

No comments:

Post a Comment