Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sacrificing Trees on Hump Day

Today was a very rewarding hump day.  Ok, all my workdays are rewarding in some way or another, but today was especially great.  Oh believe me, it didn't exactly start that way when my alarm went off at 4:16 and briefly contemplated practicing my curve ball with the phone.  I was beyond exhausted from the start, and had to prop myself against the closet wall to get dressed.  I looked like I would fail any sobriety test.  Sad.
My Wednesday morning was fairly normal besides the fact that my eyes were heavy and I felt like any other 84 year old...ready for a nap by 10am.  But it was game time.  I had chest, triceps, and core today.  Sometimes I find that I actually lift better on days when I'm tired.  Mainly because it forces me to mentally focus more and push harder just to get through it.  That's not always the case though.  I was pleased with my weights and kept everything heavier than normal.  No cardio for this rearend today,...a nice break from the treadmill.
Instead, I headed to Hallmark where I managed to spend $30 on cards.  Seriously, what is wrong with me?  I don't even have that many friends, but nonetheless I am a card slut.  Totally not "green" at all.  I practically bought and killed at least 2 trees and a sapling in one purchase.

Moving on...
This afternoon proved to be pretty intense.  I had one client blow me away with sort of where she is mentally and emotionally in regards to her body image.  After losing over 100 pounds, she is content with her body, able to control her portions, enjoy splurges on occasion, and genuinely FEELS GOOD.  She's experiencing balance where chaos and extreme-behavior once ruled.  Ah, I was so excited for her.  She's at a place where some women will go there entire lives and never be.  Amazing.

Its ironic that we (women) often think that if we take care of everyone else, be everything to everyone, and burn ourselves down that we'll somehow be valued more or feel fulfilled in the process.  It couldn't be further from the truth, and I see it ALL THE TIME with my middle-aged female client with kids.  As if to take 30 minutes for the sake of your health is a horrible thing.  News flash: The reason you won't get mother of the year award is NOT because you took time to exercise....and I'll go ahead and claim that as fact. 
Truth is, your kids are watching your habits (good and bad), and are effected by them more than you realize.  If one parent is obese, a child is 50% more likely to be obese.  If both parents are obese, that number jumps to 85%.  You are their primary example of health.....what example are you setting?
Just something to think about.

Its almost 9:00 and I feel like I just sat down.  Oh but my queen size dose of heaven is calling my name....practically screaming at this point.
Another day in the books folks,...night!




No comments:

Post a Comment