Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Summa Cum HOLLAAAA!!!

Kids are currently running through my yard like criminals.
If it wasn't infested with crab grass and clover that seems to spread like an STD through my lawn, I might go out there and lay down the law.  But we're not exactly ready for the cover of Home and Garden, so for now I will sit here and watch this circus act.  I'm chaperoning.  Sort of.

It amazes me how everyday can be so different.  I was completely d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g this morning, and by the time I needed to throw around the weights I was more inclined to get in fetal position under the leg press.  My weights felt heavier than normal, and my contractions on more isolation movements was sub-par at best.  Seriously, this frustrates the mess out of me.  "Off" days happen, of course, but when they come unexpectedly its harder to deal with in my opinion.  I expected to feel better than I actually did today.  Period.  At that point I just needed to finish and move on.  Tomorrow is leg day....refocus.

It was a great day with clients.  And by "great" I mean that I was only cursed at a few times, eyes rolled about twice, and only 1 person dared to say they simply were not going to do an exercise.  Did I contemplate testing his reflexes with a quick jab to the 'ol gut?  Yes.  Duh.  But I learned a long time ago that I can only push as much as a person is willing to let me.  Yes, I will go a little beyond their comfort zone, but that is my job....help open a door to greater health and empowerment.  And yet its amazing the number of people who'd just assume stay cocooned in their "norm" out of fear and even laziness.  Fine.  Its a choice,...a poor one, but still theirs to choose and reap the consequences of.  Sad.
SO did the guy end up doing the exercise?
Of course he did ;)

Summer is definitely upon us.  We've got several high school senior athletes headed out this year to face the exciting college life.  I remember high school graduation.  I cried walking in....what a tool.  I heard that music and nearly lost it.  Not exactly sure why I was emotional, but I think I was nervous about life outside of what I knew.  Then I got to college and realized I would cry when I left there too....but for much different reasons.  I honestly don't remember anything from the actual ceremony except that the gown was hotter than Kenya, and I had a secret desire to chew on my tassel.  It was an inch from my mouth and I was about to sit through 200+ names....I was tempted by anything that appeared even remotely distracting from the actual event.  What a day.
Not sure what my advice to the seniors would be except to surround yourself with people who inspire, encourage, challenge, and believe in you.  Some days they will be the limb you cling to.
And, your talents and abilities are your gift to the world.  Give it back daily...with passion and humility.
Perhaps that is my advice to all of you.  Seriously.

I have more advice for them, but its probably more practical with direct correlation to a ridiculous college story my mom should not read....ever...
That will be my second book.

Ok my peeps,...time for some shut-eye.  Hump day is on its way.  Here we go....


No comments:

Post a Comment