Monday, May 28, 2012

Sweaty Flips and Cat Vom

It feels like Sunday night. 
I just finished making my meals for the week, and made my husband's as well.  It was a nutritional-intervention.  Ever since the wedding weekend away, he's been eating like he wants diabetes by early June.  No, he won't eat like me, but a few minor changes here and there and we just saved his pancreas.  You're welcome Falcon.

I should have slept in later than I did, but Oscar was whining like a 2 year old, and I was having a coffee-itch.  It wasn't even 30 minutes later and my feet were sweating from the caffeine.  Ridiculous.  Nothing new though,...when I took dance/acrobatics in elementary school I was the only person who had to wear my jazz shoes on the mat because my sweaty feet would slip.  There's got to be something wrong with that.  Despite how awkward it felt, I certainly didn't want to explain to my schoolmates that I suffered a concussion from a front handspring attempt with sweaty feet.  Screw that.  I'd rather be the odd ball with shoes on but nailing jumps and flips like the beast I thought I was in 1994.
Now here I am,....still sweating.

So my guess is that many of you had a relaxing weekend at the beach, lake, or stuck in your house staring at your spouse wondering why they have to leave crap everywhere.  Just me?  Awesome.  I'm sure several clients tomorrow will stroll in muttering the common early week theme of I've got to get back on track! or I was sooo bad this weekend Meredith, I have no self-control!  Those are pretty popular Monday/Tuesday groans.  But I don't think the problem starts on the weekend.  It actually begins the week before.  Too often people restrict themselves all week and then the floodgates open on the weekends and they go nuts,...and so the cycle comtinues.  Problem is that they haven't put together a plan that is actually doable and a lifestyle that fits them.  Every diet should not look the same.  We all have different tastes and schedules, BUT we can all eat healthy within our differences.  Period.  So here's a few tips you can start NOW in preparation for the week/weekend so you're not beating yourself up next Monday.

* Prepare as many meals/snacks in advance to take to work or have on hand so you don't even have to spend extra time in the pantry to then ultimately make a poor decision because you're starving by that point!
Even if its just your lunch for the next 2 days, get in the habit of making it yourself.  Keep it as natural as possible with fruit, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats.

* Plan for 1 night on the weekend to be your "splurge" night.  You can have whatever meal you'd like, but truly plan for it and mark on your calendar.  That way you'll be more motivated to eat healthy throughout the week because you have that day planned in advanced.  AND you'll be less likely to make it an entire weekend of splurges if you know its only for one evening.

* Mark your calendar to exercise the day after your splurge night.  This will help prevent that feeling of well, I just ate a bunch of crap so I might as well sit here and sulk about it until Monday.  Get over it, get moving, its a new day.

Notice a trend?  P-L-A-N-N-I-N-G.  What a concept. ;)
Yes it takes time, but being unhealthy and out of shape is inconvenient and not worth it.  No excuses.  You're worth the extra 30 minutes in the kitchen.

So, my plans to be at the pool today completely changed and I ended up running errands and then napping on the couch.  I was exhausted by 5pm to the point I was dizzy.  Next thing I know I'm spooning a pillow on the couch and talking in the my sleep.  I could have laid there for hours, but I was rudely awakened by the sound of Oscar regurgitating his dinner in the middle of the living room.  I love how that little crackhead ran from the hardwood floor to the carpet...as if having me clean up vomit off of wooden floors wasn't enough.  I love my cat, I do.  But when he throws up I find myself bypassing any feelings of sympathy and instead, wonder why he can't associate vomit with a toilet and figure it out from there.  Evidently my expectations are too high.

Well, its about that time.  I've written a book and now I need to get ready for a long Tuesday.  Night folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment