Friday, December 10, 2010

More tough love...

Sleeping in this morning was absolutely amazing.  I rolled over at 5:00 and fell back asleep until 6:15.  Yes, to me that is sleeping in.  By 8:30 I already enjoyed 2 cups of coffee, did my grocery shopping, and was solving world problems.  Ok, the latter is probably a small fib, but I do what I can.

I was surprised that I was not more sore this morning, but I definitely felt it in my biceps by the time I had to workout.  I am extremely tight and in much need of a massage.  If I had the money I would hire someone just to rub my rear everyday.  Seriously, the last time I had a massage she found a knot in my bottom the size of a golf ball.  I was screaming obscenities at the woman once she dug her elbow into me.....it was great, but you would've thought someone was trying to kill me.

Friday workouts are a struggle.  I love working chest, but hamstrings...not so much.  Not to mention, I am tired and ready for a little break by the end of the week.  I stuck with 12 reps again today, and honestly struggled on many lifts.  Of course the weight was lower than when I do 8 or 10 reps, but my time under tension was greater...so my heart rate stayed elevated and my muscles were ready to stop at 10.  I was eager to switch out walking lunges for step lunges, but my left hip-flexor kept trying to dominate the movement like a control freak, so I went back to walking lunges.  Its funny that sometimes you're really feeling an exercise, and sometimes you're not.  Step lunges just weren't in the cards today.  It was a long workout to say the least.

Workout:
30* incline chest press 3 x 12
Flat DB chest press 3 x 12
Cable flys 3 x 12
Front DB raise 3 x 12
SUMO squats 3 x 12
Walking lunges 3 x 20 yards
Hamstring curls on machine 3 x 12
Straight-leg deadlift 3 x 12
Single leg glute raise on ball 3 x 12 each leg   

So, I've got to talk about something for a minute...yeah, brace yourself.
I was standing in line at Sam's Club today and just stared in amazement as these two women unloaded their cart in the checkout line...industrial size container of cheese balls, chips, Alfredo sauce, laffy-taffy, 5 lb. bucket of cookie dough, and I could go on and on.  The more I looked around, the more I noticed this was the norm.  But what should I expect in a nation that is over 60% obese?!  What is wrong with us?  We know the difference in an apple and an apple pie, and yet we continue to make poor choices and then point the finger to advertising, convenience, or any other excuse besides our own lack of self-control or laziness.  The last I checked, we are not being force-fed fast food and Little Debbie Cakes.  Time to take some responsibility folks, have a little self-respect, and pursue a healthier, happier life.  Yes, I am a little more bent towards tough love....but life's too short to beat around the bush.  I left the store pretty riled up...

Well, its late Friday night and I'm ready for a day off.  My goal is to sleep in, finish Christmas shopping, and perhaps even grab a nap in there somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment