Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sniffing Novels and Dirty Laundry

The extra 45 minutes of sleep last night didn't prove to be as beneficial as expected.  I woke up at least 3 times before 5am wondering what day it was and if I was running late.  Just once I want to wake up like Cinderella, (minus the slave labor), and start singing like its the best day I've had since...well,...the day before.
That will never happen.
My mom used to wake me up by singing, and I'm pretty much scarred for life.  I can't face my day as a serious human being when the first thing I hear is "Good morning to you, good morning to you...la la la."  It was the first time I experienced dislike for my mom.....and it continued every morning around 6am from 1997-2001.

My morning was fairly normal and I rolled right into my workout, which today was only cardio.  Thankfully, it went by fast, and I was then headed to run some errands before my afternoon clients.  First stop was Barnes and Noble.  Every time I go in there the first thing I want to do is yell.  Yell, and then sniff the new books.  Its a weird fetish.  I don't have to read it, just let me smell it.
I spent 30 minutes in there and managed to do some serious people-watching.
My other hobby.

The afternoon brought an array of experiences...from tears to excuses, it was hump day at its finest.  One lady told me that she came to workout so she could eat whatever she wanted tonight at dinner, AND that I should be proud that she was squeezing in a workout.  Not going to lie, I wanted to hit her....and I mean that in a loving way.  Ok, here it is,...if you honestly think that working out allows you to eat whatever you want with no effects on your health/weight/body comp/etc, you have it ALL WRONG.  Hate to tell you, you cannot workout enough to make up for a crappy diet.  Period.
Furthermore, that entire mindset is completely screwed up because it creates a relationship with food that is on "deserve/don't deserve" terms.  Food should be free of any emotional value or dependency.  Its fuel.  And truth is, if you think you don't deserve something, anything for that matter, you are simply going to want it more.  Next thing you know you've got your head buried in Breyers cursing your lack of self control and fully aware that lactose intolerance is 2 seconds from rearing its ugly head.
Bottom line: respect your body enough to equally value each aspect of your overall health...activity, nutrition, rest, peace of mind, etc...

Tired...and staring at a pile of laundry that makes me want to say screw it and join a nudist camp.  How do we go through so many clothes by Wednesday?!
Now I see why my mom used to say "If you want a clean uniform for every game, you are in charge of it!"  Not only was she teaching responsibility, she was literally about to take a pin to her eye if she had to do one more load of laundry.
Thus, I wore dirty, sweat-laden uniforms every week.  I was disgusting with apparently no sense of personal hygiene.  I remember banging the dried dirt and sweat out of my softball socks, putting on a damp jersey from the day before,...my God its amazing I wasn't a walking staph infection.

Uh, anyway, time for bed.  Laundry will have to wait one more day...

No comments:

Post a Comment