Friday, August 24, 2012

Finding Motivation

When my day begins with a 5am nose bleed, I know its going to be an eventful 24 hours.  Here we go...

For the last 2 days I honestly cannot stop thinking about the whole concept of motivation.  I know, out of all the things in this world to contemplate....the 7 wonders,...Bradley Cooper,...why having a thumb is so important, etc....I am dialed in on motivation.
Perhaps some of it had to do with the fact that as I stepped on the treadmill yesterday to do my cardio, I literally wanted to say screw it, I'm done, I would rather give 4 pints of blood and risk a pass-out scene.  Why people think that trainers don't face those moments is baffling to me.  We are human, and some days training sucks.  Fact.  Actually, there are aspects of every workout that rank up there with taking a medicine ball to the face over...and over...and over. 
In moments like that, there is certainly no exact science to how I motivate myself.  I'm certainly not one of these people who has an internal cheerleader with pom-poms screaming "You can do it!  Great job!"  Yeah, definitely not me.  I might strangle her. 
If I say anything to myself its more along the lines of "Shut up and do it" (add explicit where necessary).   That pretty much gets me moving and leaves no room for excuses.  Honestly, we have none....at least none worthy of repeating.  I like the idea of simply being done when you're done, NOT when you're tired.  Thus, I had 40 minutes on that God forsaken treadmill whether I was tired, pissed off, or foaming at the mouth.

I asked one of our college lacrosse players yesterday if he had a favorite motivational quote or saying.  He thought for a second and just said two words: "Effort and Attitude......Its the only two things we can control 100% of the time in training and competition." 
I was blown away and totally engaged in a meat-head-bonding-moment.  Big words from a young player.  I loved it,...and he was completely right. 

The bottom line: what motivates us is beautifully unique from person to person.  And honestly, it can change on a daily basis.  The key is figuring it out, and start relying on yourself to overcome yourself and every temptation to give anything less than all you have.  We are often our greatest opponent and yet possess the very strength and resilience we need to fall down 7 times, but get up 8.



2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I've had a hard training month and I need new motivation, I can take myself to the Bull City Running store to pick out a new pair of socks or new outfit, new flavor of GU or new water bottle, and BAM....I'm super excited to get out training again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great workout yesterday...I know those legs were tired after the stadium, but you did great! And I can TOTALLY understand about the retail-motivation ;)
    Whatever it takes!

    ReplyDelete