Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Going Deaf...

I made the mistake yesterday of downing my green tea at about 6pm, which meant I watched nearly the entire episode of Bethany Ever After and didn't fall asleep until 11pm.  In my sad world, that might as well be 2am.  Talk about a foul mood...4:15 was a sight.  I changed outfits about 3 times...which left me winded from battling spandex pants way too early in the morning.  I finally decided on my camo hip-hop pants and pink Nike's.  I have an inner thug, what can I say...

My day was fairly normal for the most part.  I use that term loosely.  I had an 8 year old kid this morning who was so excited to tell me that he was got first place for all his team sprints last week.  It was very cool.  He's truly a sweet kid and I'm sure would run until he bled if I asked him.  I'm mean, but not that mean. 
And yes, they can start "working out" even at that age.  No lifting weights, but we work on body mechanics, awareness, speed, agility, and plyometrics.  At 8 years old, you can certainly tell the kids who simply have good genes and probably came out of the womb kicking, screaming, and doing walking lunges.  I love those kids.  If your kids play against them, you hate them.  Its ok,...we get it.

The afternoon got more interesting. 
As a trainer, I am certainly used to people complaining about working out, sweating, etc.  Its unbelievable but I've learned to drown it out pretty quickly.  So for the record, the more you complain, the deafer I become.  But, today was a little different.  It went beyond the complaining...it was a personality clash.  I used to take this stuff personally, but what an unreasonable burden.  And if you're a trainer/coach reading this, I would encourage you not to either.  The truth is, not everyone will like you, BUT if you're doing your job with professionalism and honesty, that's life.  Suck it up and move on.  To think that everyone will love you is a ridiculous expectation.  And I would go so far as to say that if you don't  have a couple here and there who "don't like you", then you're not being true to yourself.  And yes, this can pretty much apply to any career.  For me personally, its not about people LIKING me,...its about me doing my utmost to help them achieve their goals, seek to understand the best way to motivate them as individuals, and push beyond their comfort zone. "Like" implies a conditional emotion.  Which, in the midst all that transpires in the gym emotionally, physically, and mentally, can waver on a daily basis.  Yes, I want people to feel like a success, walk away with a sense of accomplishment, and desire to push even farther....and if that means "not liking" me in the process, OK.  Its not about me anyway.

What a long day.

My workout plans changed a little today....I hit shoulders and cardio...which means all LEGS tomorrow.  Whew, its going to get ugly tomorrow in the gym around 11:30.  The good thing about leg day is no cardio.  Its like Christmas....minus Jesus....presents....food...decorations...and that one family member who always smells like the bar. 
Well, I am starting to dose off...time for bed around here.  Wednesday is waiting...get on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment