Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I dare you...

I think I met my word limit today by about 4pm.  There's honestly no telling how much oxygen I use talking to people on any given day....which is probably why I leave work and truly want QUIET for a little while.  Its a good thing I don't have kids...I'd be slipping those jokers Nyquil after lunch...

I honestly wasn't sure how my workout would go, or my sprints actually, because my hamstrings are one giant knot at the moment.  Seriously, its like a small gerbil is hiding under the skin right behind my knees.  When I bent over to demonstrate a deadlift this morning, I was pretty certain they would either snap or I would curse so loud I'd lose my hearing.  Sometimes I want to fake being deaf...mainly around holiday events though...

So I made it through my workout...biceps/triceps, and then some sprints.  It really wasn't horrible, just tired from 3 days of lifting and being on my feet.  My arms are looking pretty good I think...definitely bigger than before, and shoulders are rounding out nicely.  Rear delts are in full force (one thing the judges look for right off the bat when it comes to muscularity).  I'm still not working my triceps too hard...they are out of control as it is...an ego all their own.  Sprints went well...this white girl has gotten faster...watch out.  I find it hard sometimes getting the perfect balance of blasting my legs without sucking wind to the point I can't recover fast enough to then do my next sprint in time...and vice versa.  So today I got my heartrate up pretty quickly at about 75% speed with little rest time between sprints.  Then, once I got my heartrate to 192-198 I cranked up the speed and increased my rest time.  I was exhausted after 25 minutes.  All in all, good workout day.

Workout:
Lying lat bar curls 3 x 10-12
EZ bar curls 3 x 10
Alternating incline curls 3 x 8 each
Single arm horizontal cable curl 2 x failure each arm
Tricep press-down on dip machine 3 x 12-15
Rope press-down 3 x 12-15
Single arm tricep extension 3 x 12 each
Sprints 25 minutes

Switching gears here for a minute...

My day started off with a truly empowering conversation with one of my clients...it was about inspiration/motivation.  Ironically, it is the very topic I've been thinking about a lot lately and woke up a couple of weeks ago in the middle of the night to jot down random thoughts/ideas.  We went back and forth about how important it is to be more aware of ourselves...our goals...our potential...and our own desire to be "great" in whatever capacity that entails(since we are all given different gifts and abilities).  Its so true...we often fall victim to meeting the expectations of others, society, and/or the mediocre and "safe" expectations we place on ourselves....as if to dream bigger than where we are is a crime.  I've wrestled with this very subject for a few weeks now, and here's a glimpse into my mind for a second...yeah, brace yourself...

I started thinking about how we idolize so many other people...famous people, parents, coaches, athletes...and we even come to the point where we are emotionally dependent on their success/achievements, as if it directly affects our loyalty to them and our barometer of inspiration we receive from them.  We forget they are, in fact, human, and thus struggle in their own form and fashion as well.  (Its easier for me to think of all of this from an athletic/fitness standpoint simply because of my career and athletic background.)  So all of this led me to a deeper thought....why is motivation and inspiration a mere FEELING to us?  Why do we often say "I feel motivated" or "I don't feel motivated"??  If its such a powerful driving force, to the point that we emotionally invest part of ourselves into the life of another in search of something greater than ourselves, why is it confined to something as wavering as a feeling?  Should it not be a mindset...a choice...to daily pursue the things that will take us one step closer to a goal?  Here's what I think...the will to pursue greatness (in whatever capacity) breeds the work necessary to get there, which breeds small successes along the way, which breeds motivation to keep going, which breeds the will to continue when its tough...and the cycle continues on and on.  But you say, "what if I don't have a goal?" or "I don't think I can do_______ or achieve _______."  So here's the kicker...and perhaps the greatest challenge some of us will ever face...

WHAT IF, instead of always looking to and depending on another flawed human being for some sort of "jump start" to inspire us, we dared to consider our own potential....dared to think beyond our parents' expectations, our coaches/boss' expectations, and for a moment fearlessly glimpse at who we could be with the talents and abilities given us.  Now why can't THAT person be our inspiration and motivation to move forward?!  Why can't we wake up each morning with a distinct picture of where we're headed and maintain focus?  How much more confident and driven we'd be if we truly believed with all our being that we are more capable.  The truth is 97% of us are scared....we're scared because to imagine that person is to confront who we are in this moment...
Well folks, to walk on water your first step has to be out of the boat...

2 comments:

  1. Wow Meredith!! That's some inspirational moment you had!! :) Whew, so glad you got that off your chest and shared it with your "fans." You are SO right, we shouldn't rely on others or compare ourselves with others and their abilities. If we dig deep, we can find true inspiration right inside our own self. If we constantly compare, we'll always feel like we fall short or that we disappoint ourselves. We each bring something new to the table, a strength that is our own but maybe not someone else's.

    Great job pushing through these tough workouts! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever thought about writing a book? Seriously....you always leave me thinking. Although right now I'm so tired my brain hurts so I might have to re-read this tomorrow. Definitely food for thought...

    I'm so excited about next week - you look awesome. All that hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete