Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Refueled

Just woke up from my nap and I'm pretty sure I could have stayed there in fetal position for another 2 hours.  After a leg workout and climbing the never-ending hill on the treadmill, I am beyond tired right now.  I am pumping caffeine in my body like water and ready for a second wind....that doesn't come in the form of gas...

I spent some time reading a few forums today and was once again reminded of just how difficult this journey can be.  The fact is that not everyone can do it...which is why you can go to some state-level shows and there will only be a handful of women in each height class.  Then, if you happen to enter a show where there is more than 12-15 people in your group, the reality is that only about a third have any business being on stage.  There are plenty of people who think that if they simply diet down for a few months, lose some fat, and buy a suit, they are ready to step on stage.  Those are the same people who will embarrass themselves.  It takes years of bulking and cutting cycles to get a physique that will actually be competitive.  Not to mention, some people simply have a genetic edge.  Period.  It blows my mind that your top competitors at 5'4" and 5'5" will go on stage, water-depleted, at 9-11% body fat, and a SOLID 127-135 lbs.  You know what that looks like?  A rock...one big, perfectly shaped rock.  With that said, who wants to go stand beside that at 110 lbs and 16% bodyfat?!!  It baffles me.  If your goal is to be "thin" or "skinny with muscle tone" (that one makes me laugh), then you will hate this sport and the process of bulking and cutting.  It IS hard, but thats why crazy meatheads like me love it...

After reading for awhile, I was refueled.  I truly believe its important to surround yourself with constant motivation and people who respect your goals.  They don't have to necessarily understand it, just so long as they care about YOU and acknowledge your pursuit of something greater.  Because in the end, you're not doing it for them anyway.

On that note, lets talk about the hell I unleashed on my legs today.  I increased my reps to 15 and thought I might go into convulsions during leg press.  Its amazing how much more energy 3-5 more reps requires.  And let me tell ya, this machine was built for speed and power, NOT endurance.  It was good to change it up, but tough.  I finished with uphill walking on the treadmill and was amazed at how tired my calves got because my quads and hamstrings were shot and simply could not work as hard at that point.

Workout:
Squats 4 x 15
Walking lunges 4 x 25 yards
Leg press 3 x 15
Hamstring curls on machine 4 x 15
Leg extensions 3 x 15
Hamstring pull-backs 3 x 15
Anklebands 3 x 60 yards

2 hours later and I was thrilled to be done.  I will sleep like a baby tonight....and be ready for some chest/core tomorrow.  I'm hoping my shoulder feels better by then....driving into work today I couldn't even hold the wheel with my left arm.  Something was pinching and causing pain in my shoulder.  I'm extremely tight right now and know that's part of my problem.  I've got a massage scheduled Saturday that couldn't come soon enough.  I will probably moan and curse on the table like I usually do....it will either freak her out or make her laugh.  I'm fine with either one. 

Happy Tuesday folks....push harder...go farther...no excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment