Tuesday, January 11, 2011

8 Minutes Under Fire

Not your typical Tuesday.  I rolled over at about 10:00 last night to find a text from Brian that we were not going to open until 10 due to weather conditions.  My body needed the extra rest.  I was practically in a coma until 7 am.  I was able to leisurely enjoy my breakfast and coffee, catch up with my mom on the phone, and check a few emails.  Even though I don't necessarily consider myself a morning person, I do love the mornings.  When I think of morning people, I think of my mom.  In high school she would wake me up by singing "Good morning to you, good morning to you..."  It was the only time I contemplated cursing at my own mother.  So wrong.  And now look at me, I'm getting up at 4:30 and  interacting with the world by 6.  Oh the irony.

Had a teachable and learning moment for myself this morning.  One of the athletes was running sprints on the treadmill and I watched as they jumped off 3 seconds early a few times in a row.  Naturally, I called them out on it.  First of all, every client/athlete should know that I have eyes on the back of my head and I am always watching.  Period.  Secondly, it really drives me nuts when athletes sell themselves short.  They want to be the best and yet only want to give 90%?!?!...BS.  You must train and practice as hard as you play.  Everyday is game day.  When they got off the treadmill and apologized to me for cheating, I explained that it wasn't about me watching or not watching....its about going hard even when you're the only one in the room.  Because the truth is sometimes no one else is there to say "great job" or pat you on the back.  And if you do it for anyone but yourself or the desire to be better than you were yesterday, you'll always be disappointed.  Raise the bar, demand more of yourself, and then bask in the SELF-satisfaction of knowing you did your best to become the best you're capable of becoming.

I hope it helped the athlete gain a little more perspective on training and giving 100 percent, but it was also a reminder to me as well.  A wake up call to the importance of every aspect of my contest prep....getting enough sleep, measuring all my food, working hard on posing, etc.... It all works together.

Leg day!  It was truly a great workout.  Sure, I felt dizzy and couldn't really feel my quads by the end, but I was ok with that.  My total squat volume went up by 30 pounds, so I was happy with that.  But then I knew leg press just might kill me.  It almost did...my left leg started quivering like it had turrets.  As soon as I completed a set I had to get the heck out of the machine and walk around before I cramped up.  Overall, awesome leg day.

Workout:
Squats 4 x 10-12
Leg press 3 x 10 each leg
Hamstring curls on machine 4 x 10-12
Hamstring curls on slideboard 4 x 15
Leg extensions 3 x 15

It blows my mind that that particular workout took me an hour and 10 minutes and yet my total time under tension (just the time when I was physically lifting the weights) was only about 8 minutes.  8 minutes...thats it.  Crazy.

Alright, thats it for now.  On to my afternoon and then home for an early bedtime.....can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment