Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bloat-free Countdown To London

Only a few days until the Olympics. 
I'm pretty pumped about it.
Yes, I get anxious watching some of the events, but it cannot be a fraction of the pressure they feel.  Training your entire life for one moment, one chance......no pressure.  Right.  It blows my mind how effortless these athletes make it look.  9.58-100m sprint...no problem, I'll just be back here at the 60 sucking wind with numb limbs when you cross the line.  Moreover, how do the gymnasts not get wedges from those leotards?  Seriously.  I ponder this every 4 years.

If it were me I'd probably demand a thong and helmet.  After witnessing Nastia's face-plant, no shot I'd go without a helmet.  And the thong would serve 2 purposes:  1. put the material where its already going to creep anyway after 3 flips and a back handspring, and  2. distract from my horrible form. 
This makes complete sense to me.

Oh what a Wednesday.
It felt long, but I was a little more rested than normal. Leg workout was good, and thank God no bloat today!  Highlight of my day...which makes my days sound horribly boring, but you know what I mean.  I was just pumped that I didn't feel like I needed to be juiced at any point today. 

On a more serious note...
One client today mentioned that she wasn't sure sort of "where" she wanted to go with her running routine.  She's done 5Ks and entered several other races, and always worked to increase speed.  BUT, she's getting bored.  Truth is, I don't think she's crazy about running....but rather, it simply gives her something to work on and not just run for the hell of it.  I understand.  However, here was my thing to her...and to a lot of my athletes who face that where am I headed question:
The fact is, whether you are training to compete in 5Ks, triathlons, or play soccer, baseball, football, basketball, or freak'n checkers at a higher level, you will spend 95% of your time practicing/training and only 5% actually competing.  So if you dread merely practicing the sport, I'd truly stop and consider WHY you are pursuing it further.  And let me clarify something,...you can feel horrible after a good practice or workout and be lying on the floor wanting your mama and still love the sport.  But when you dread to even practice the skills necessary to be great on a daily basis, that's different.  Time to reassess.  Because truth is, you cannot give all you have to something and continue to improve if there is no passion/desire there to give more.  We are not wired to want to devote our focus, energy, and time to things we do not receive some type of personal gratification from.  Period.
My sister-in-law once asked me why I don't train for a triathlon.  I laughed and said that I don't care much for running...swimming....and the thought of sitting on a bike for more than 2 minutes makes my crotch hurt. 

If anything, I hope she walked away from our conversation confident that in her own personal fitness journey there is no one set paved road.  She can create her own path and make turns when necessary.  Very cool ending to my day.

Well, I have chicken breasts, lettuce, tomatoes, and broccoli staring at me ready to chop and make meals for Thursday and Friday.  Time to get on it.  One day I will probably lay my own eggs....which is a horrible thought...and yet would save a lot of money...

No comments:

Post a Comment