Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Playing Catch-up

What a day.
I was 3 steps behind myself the entire day and just felt rushed.  My OCD cannot stand it.  I want to be prepared, ready, and as organized as possible.  I'm a hoarders' worst nightmare....and the feeling is mutual.  But today was just not that kind of day.
Nonetheless, I survived...

Ok, I have to vent for a moment. 
I had a client in recent days asking about how I structure her workout.  When I get questions like this I try to answer them as concise as possible and not sound like a complete meathead-nerd.  Truth is, I enjoy people asking questions and genuinely wanting to know the importance of why they are busting their rear in the gym and cursing my name the next day.  It fosters a sense of self-worth and pride in the effort and struggle.  SO, I explained in a few sentences why I structure her workout the way I do.  She clearly did not look satisfied.  She proceeds to ask me when we are going to "focus on specific areas and do hundreds of reps" (as she lifts her leg to the back pointing to her butt and doing mini glute-raises).  She went on to explain that's how she used to train.
Uhhh....I was caught between shock, intrigue, and this weird humor/anger combo I still don't understand.  What?!  Ok, we are NEVER going to do hundreds of reps of anything....because its pointless....because doing 100 glute raises does nothing but create butt cramps and leave you mad that your butt is no "perkier" than it was 100 reps ago.....because if I have to stand there and count out 100 reps I will lose my mind.  I don't know if she learned that from another trainer or if she sort of put together her own routine, falling under that whole lie of women must do a bazillion reps to get "toned"....Either way, she is in for a fitness-awakening that will most likely begin with heavy squats.  What an interesting interaction...

As far as my workout, today I only had sprints/carido.  I was in the mood for short and dirty...so I did 10 seconds sprint, 40 seconds walk for 20 minutes, speed 13.5 - 14.  I finished with 15 minutes of walking on an incline and a light jog.  It felt "good", and I was thankful my cold was gone so I could actually breathe during the whole dern thing.  I was glad to be done.

Tomorrow is back and core.  One of my favorite lifting days even though after I do core work I often feel nauseous.  There I am doing crunches and 2 minutes later I'm pregnant with morning sickness.  Its pretty intense some days to the point that I am tempted to swear-off all abdominal exercises completely....like the day after drinking....minus the drinking...and horrible black X on your hand that lets everyone know for the next 4 days that you were out making bar-appearances like the non-celebrity you are.  I don't know where these metaphors come from...

Ok, time for bed.  I am pooped and tomorrow is my Friday...yeah buddy!

2 comments:

  1. Meredith,
    The website I was trying to think of today is called jogtunes.com
    and the medication I was trying to think of today is called Zicam! Boy, I think my brain is getting eaten up by this cold, can't remember anything! :)

    Thanks for the great workout today, I always look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really great seeing you yesterday - I need to stop by more often (or at least get in touch more often since I know you're pretty busy there!

    ReplyDelete