Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gone in 60 seconds

Thursday night...a quiet Thursday night...ahhh...

This week has worn me pretty thin to say the least.  Fighting this cold has been fun...no really...I'll keep telling myself this until its actually true.  Seriously though, thank God for night-time medicine...think I went unconscious at some point last night.  Slept like a baby until my alarm went off.  Then it was time to get rolling.  Oh I rolled, believe me...

My day started off pretty normal...well, my definition at least.  Steady flow of clients until it was my turn to kick my own rear in a workout.  Honestly, I felt weak today.  My body felt a little sluggish, with some minor aches (probably due to the cold/sinus mess).  I trudged through core, back, and some 1 minute intervals on the treadmill at the end.  I know, I can't believe I actually ran today.  I figured I might as well kick myself while I was down.  No better way than on the treadmill.  And while some people prefer 1 minute intervals, I really really dislike them.  THIS was not built for anything beyond a 30 second sprint.  Which, probably explains why I threw up several times running the 400m in middle/high school.  It hated me, and the feeling was pretty mutual. 15 seconds is great, and 8 seconds going all-out is like heaven to me.  One minute feels like an eternity.  You marathoners laugh,...eh...I think you all are a little nuts anyway. ;)
Needless to say, I was thankful to get through the workout even if it didn't feel exactly how I'd hoped.  Some days are like that.

I had a huge break-through moment with a client yesterday that I was truly eager to share...
Long story short, she's been obsessing over her weight the past several months because the scale has not budged much.  (She's lost 90 pounds and well within a healthy weight range).  A couple of pounds here and there, but not the "ideal" she had in her head.  I kept asking her "How are your clothes fitting?....Do you feel differently when you look in the mirror?"  She said her clothes were not as tight and that she feels better, but she was still hung up on the scale number.  Ugh.  I go through this with female clients ALL THE TIME....at some point in your fitness journey, you have to let go of "that number."  As you get in better shape, the weight does not just fall off as easily, and in fact, you might put on weight at some point because you're increasing muscle mass. 
She couldn't stand it anymore.  She needed more validation that what she was doing was working.  So she asked me to measure her bodyfat.  I honestly think she thought there would be no change since the scale was not moving.  Boy was she wrong.  Down over 5% body fat, which equated to over 7 pounds. 
For the first time in months I saw her confident in herself, believing in what she was doing, and ready to continue forward.  I was thrilled,....and reminded once again why I love what I do.


Well, I just finished my cabbage/chicken/cottage cheese concoction...oh so good.
Almost bedtime for me and then some sleeping-in for tomorrow.  Looking forward to cleaning, working out, and then some ME-time for the afternoon.  A pedicure sounds amazing right now, but there's no way they would want to touch my feet.  Its fine.  I get it.

9:45...I can hardly think straight.  Time for bed.  Night!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete