Saturday, October 16, 2010

Running...nowhere

I genuinely love Saturdays.  Even though my "to-do" list seems endless, I don't have to get up at 4:30 and can at least relax a little bit.  I had all intentions of going to bed at a decent hour last night and then before I knew it I was looking at my alarm clock and couldn't believe it was already 10:45.  Needless to say, I was a zombie this morning.  My body was sore and my mind only semi-coherent.  I honestly don't think I could have worked out if I'd tried.  Its one thing to push through a workout mid-week when you're stressed and surviving off of a 4 hour sleep night, but when you've had adequate rest and your body feels heavy and slow, you gotta listen to it.  I listened....and as far as exercise goes, I only ran to the bathroom. 

I've gotten much better at taking some days completely off.  I remember a few years ago when I would run everyday for 3 weeks straight before I'd take a day off....which is beyond ridiculous.  Now if you told me to run for 3 weeks straight, I'd probably figure out the fastest way to injure myself...and you.

I was thinking today, and I can't believe its been 5 years since I've competed.  In some ways it feels like yesterday.  I was telling a friend how much I enjoy it...just being up there in front of everyone (despite nerves)...there's definitely a rush...followed by a prayer that you've done all you can to present the best product possible.  Then at some point you realize there's no use in worrying, so you just smile and project an overwhelming confidence that you hope grasps the judges and audience.  But you can't help but look and analyze every BODY backstage.  Its like a meat-market...except painted brown....and sprayed with crisco.  I remember the first show I did and having to stand on this big tarp while some stranger sprayed me down with PAM before going on stage.  I think I was greasy for about 3 days after that....and perhaps a fire hazard.  I just gave some of you a sick try-at-home idea I'm sure...

Well, tonight will be low-key.....and tomorrow all I have is cardio.  Positive thoughts....positive thoughts...eh...

No comments:

Post a Comment