Monday, October 22, 2012

Stripped

The alarm went off early.
Too early.
Before I knew it I was cleaning benches, writing programs, and watching squat form like a hawk.  On some level, I get paid to watch rearends all day.  I'm ok with it...I figure there are worse things to get paid for.

A young athlete asked me today what I thought of Lance Armstrong and the whole ordeal...
My thoughts?  I'm more of a realist, surprising, I know.  Do I think he doped?  Absolutely.  Do I think a large percentage of professional athletes "dope" in some form or fashion?  Absolutely.  Do I think he should be stripped of his titles?  Eh, debatable. 
At the end of the day in that world, its every man for himself...athletes, companies, etc.  So to testify against someone or null a contract all in the name of saving-face, I get it.  Not that I always support it, but I get it.  And fact is, if they were as diligent about testing every other sport, there would probably be no professional league of anything
Yes, we have many great athletes to draw inspiration from, but they are still human.  They struggle, they are tempted, and they are fully capable of poor decisions. 
But I love to hear people say "I would never do that."  Truth is we have no clue what we'd do with millions of dollars and the essence of our identity riding on PERFORMANCE.  I'd argue that the vast majority would compromise everything just shy of selling our first born for the sake of doing what we love, being filthy rich in the process, and pretty much being placed on a pedestal.
Never say never.
Justin Bieber quote.
Teenager worth billions...oh the irony...


I had a great workout today despite my lack of sleep this weekend.  Nothing like a solid Monday lifting session.
Brian was back in the weights with Garrett and I after his half ironman this past weekend.  Something I have absolutely NO desire to do...ever...
I don't enjoy running enough to go that far.
I can't even float.
And the thought of sitting on a bike for more than 5 minutes without a donut seat sounds miserable.  But hats off to those nut jobs who love it.  There is very little in this world I'd want to do for 5 hours straight...and running, biking, and swimming are not on the list.  Nowhere near it actually.

Well, I am spent.
Time for bed and back to the grind tomorrow.  Love me some Tuesdays.


1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing your thoughts on the Lance Armstrong issue and I couldn't agree more. I don't doubt that he's only one of many who "dopes" (I'm actually wondering if those who don't are few and far between) but who am I to criticize since you're right - I'm not him and I wasn't in his situation. On the other hand, he was (is?) an insanely amazing athlete. I wonder how much of that was true ability and how much was help? I can definitely see both sides of the coins. I'm also with you on Ironmans or even sprint triathlons. No fun from where I stand and therefore no desire.

    ReplyDelete