Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Short On Patience...

I got a phone call today that I've honestly never had before. 
While I am always eager to learn more about where our clients are mentally in regards to their goals/workouts/lifestyle changes, some interactions leave me completely dumbfounded.
Let me see if I can recap this for you without getting arthritis or making your eyes bleed...

We met for an assessment a little over 3 weeks ago.  3 weeks.  That is key to the story for all you note takers.  She said that she wanted to come to us once a week and then workout on her own 3 other days.  Fine, very doable.  We talked about diet changes and everything she needed to do to meet her goals.  She was on board and excited.  Good.
Phone rings today.  When someone says "Meredith, I need to talk to you about something" there is a 15% chance it has to do with an injury, 80% chance it has to do with motivation, and 5% chance it involves something borderline inappropriate/funny.  This fell into the 80%, but was combined with a completely distorted perspective that I could hardly wrap my mind around.  The gist of it was that she couldn't understand why she hasn't seen major changes yet.  Oh but it gets better.  I asked her how much she'd been working out on her own...the answer was inconsistently.  Soooo basically she wanted to stop working out because she hadn't seen major changes after 3 workouts.  I didn't know whether to laugh in the phone, curse in the phone, or jump through the phone and shake her like my old barbie dolls...(don't ask).
To make sure I was hearing correctly I asked her to explain her logic.
There was none.
I was truly at a loss for words for maybe the third time in my entire life.  I can understand someone being frustrated after 6-8 weeks of training C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-T-L-Y with a healthy diet in place, but 3 workouts?!  You've got to be kidding me.  Quite frankly, it boiled down to laziness.  She didn't want to actually work to achieve her goals.  I really have zero patience for that because its like trying to turn a train around.  At some point she, (and others who think like her), will either have to derail and change their mindset and habits, or stop complaining about the very thing they have control over.  When it comes to fitness, you are the result of what you DO and DON'T DO day in and day out.  Period.
I hung up the phone slightly pissed.
Mainly disappointed.

Speaking of trains...
After a 13 hour day I got off my exit to come home and caught the RR at the wrong time.  I sat there and watched....and waited....helpless along with dozens of other cars losing their minds.  I counted 35, 36, 37 train cars and thought for sure this post-work-mini-patience-test-nightmare would be over soon.  You can only imagine my stress level at this point.  Combined with fatigue, I was 5 seconds from a freakout and perhaps a few tears.  ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-SIX cars later, I was beyond stressed,...I wanted to jump on the caboose with a bottle of Gin and hitch a ride to Virginia. 
Its for lovers. 
Should be nice. 
Instead, I sat there in awe that a train could move so freak'n slow and that I actually counted all the stupid cars.  Unbelievable.

Well, I am spent.  I got myself all riled up and now its bedtime.  Gametime tomorrow folks.  New day.  Make it a great one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always interested in hearing what happens after you finish giving your clients a tongue-lashing (I write that in a positive way). I hope she hung up the phone feeling a renewed sense of motivation. If not then she probably doesn't truly have the desire to change. Lord knows I'm learning all about taking full responsibility for my actions, but it's working out for the best.

    I'm still hoping we can get together at some point - this summer has so far been insane for me. I'm still following your life on your blog. Thank God for these things. It's always nice knowing someone else has to scoop a certain furball's excrements out of a litter box on a daily basis. They have no idea how lucky they are....

    ReplyDelete