Monday, June 18, 2012

Hope You Vom...

Monday.
What a day.
I had all intentions of getting to bed before 9 last night, but that simply didn't happen.  Before I knew it, I was painting my nails at 9:52 while watching A League of Their Own thinking that Tom Hanks plays his drunk scenes pretty darn well.  Sort of envious of that ability....could have saved me thousands of calories and a couple of blackouts in college.

I was pretty fired up all morning.
By 11am I just needed a "repeat" button to push on my arm from all the nutrition lectures I'd given.  16 year old boy thought it was a wise idea to swing by Bojangles for 2 chicken biscuits ON HIS WAY to the gym.  Fifteen minutes into his workout both him and I were fairly certain he was going to throw up.  And to be quite honest, I was hoping he would.  I don't know what he was thinking, but he heard an earful about it.  What tripped me out the most was that he claimed that he didn't know how to make anything at home and that his mom did it all.
Ok,...here I go...
At 16 years old, get off the boob.
You are fully capable of making food for yourself and good food choices at that.  Yes, it takes a few minutes to make a sandwich, but so does sitting in the drive-thru while the other future diabetic in front of you breaks a sweat trying to find spare change.  Get over it.  Want to be a great athlete in your specific sport?  New flash, nutrition fuels your performance.  If your performance is THAT important to you, why would you jeopardize your best on a crappy chicken biscuit?  Not worth it.  Take some responsibility and stop blaming/depending on mom for everything.
And moms, do yourselves and your children a favor...give them some responsibilities in the kitchen.  You don't have to be a slave to bag lunches, a nutritious breakfast, and a perfectly cut apple for snack.  Teach them how to prepare some items on their own.  It teaches valuable life skills as well as frees you of this notion that you have-to-do-everything-or-you're-not-a-good-parent.  Please.  Guess what?  If you don't get a trophy in 15 years for being the best parent ever, its NOT going to be because of a Little Debbie...
Long story short, the kid left with a stomach ache and a small grocery list HE was in charge of getting.  
You can imagine how I was by the time the afternoon rolled around...

Workout today was solid.
I had back, biceps, and cardio.  My cardio is up a little bit for the next 3 weeks.  Down to the wire here and entering a time where I usually cycle my carbs a bit more.  Thus, on lower-carb days I am usually taking the pen to my eye by 9am. 

Sooo...today was offially day 7 of no-gum.  Unbelievable.  The first 3 days were by far the worst, but today I hardly thought about it.  3 weeks to go.  Crazy...I've already saved over 10 bucks....and lots of trapped gas.  Win/win.

Time for bed.  Another day is up for grabs...make it a good one folks.  No excuses.  Take responsibility and move forward, head up. 
Night!

1 comment:

  1. I so admire you for being able to give up gum for a whole week already!! I need to take on the same challenge. I swear I should buy stock in Extra. I know I'm keeping them in business...

    ReplyDelete