Monday, August 1, 2011

Head up...always up...

My intentions of getting into bed by 9:30 last night went straight to the crapper.  I think I finally laid my head down at 10:40.  You can only imagine the explicit words flying when the alarm went off at 4:26.  I think I just napped too late on Sunday.  What can I say, I had NASCAR on, which is the best napping noise ever...well, that and golf.  But yesterday I would have slept through a hurricane.  I was exhausted.  I went running on Saturday morning and was pretty sure I started experiencing heat exhaustion.  Not sweating by the end, goosebumps, a little vomit....either that or the worst case of shingles known to man.  It was horrible.  And I felt pretty horrible the rest of the day.  I never stopped sweating that day.

Later that afternoon I had to attend a cookout at my neighbor's house.  I was there an hour and literally had to leave to completely change clothes.  I had on a white tank-top and proceeded to sweat through the entire thing.  It was like the sweat version of spring break '04....my own wet t-shirt contest.  I look over, and even the 2 overweight menopausal women are not sweating as much as me.  It was disgusting, and I borderline hate summer right now.  There is my "seasonal rant" for the day... Just wait til winter when I can't feel my face and my arthritis flares up, I will be in rare form...

Despite the long, tiring day, I was pretty pumped about my workout.  For the next 8 weeks I am going to do an upper/lower split.  I haven't done anything remotely close to this in about 6-7 years, so it will definitely be an adjustment.  My total volume per body part may actually increase a little even though I'm condensing all upper body lifts into 2 days a week.  Legs twice a week might send me over the edge, but sometimes you just gotta mix it up.  The tough thing about today was that all my lifts were big, compound lifts with the exception of a couple.  I went 4 sets of 6-8 on everything...and really shooting to go as heavy as possible for 6.  Ummm...my upper body was completely shot by the end.  I was amazed at how tired I was.  So after all that fun, I finished with sprints.  Ah yes, sprints are back.  20 minutes sprints, 15 minutes incline walk.  Done and Done.

Workout: *4 x 6-8 on everything
Flat DB bench press
Weighted wide grip pull-ups
DB flys
Bent over BB row
Seated shoulder press
BB curls
Tricep press-down

Ever get in those positions in the gym where you think "boy, it would be bad to pass gas right now"....??...


That was the highlight of my day right there.  Last 3 sets of row, 110 pounds.  You have to find pleasure in achieving seemingly "small" goals in every workout...because it can certainly be a long journey.  And needless to say, my back was screaming after that.

I will sleep like a log tonight...probably in that same position since my rear always feels the need to be sticking out.  Awesome.  Tomorrow's workout will be a good one.  A heavy one to say the least.

Great to have the Zimmerman crew back!  Their intensity, enthusiasm, and humor was greatly missed last week as they pimped it out on the beach.  Way to go guys...ok, mainly Nelson, who at 12 years old is not afraid of the older women.  Thata boy.

Well, that's all I got for now.  Back to the grind in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment