Thursday, August 18, 2011

Clean...or NOT.

At 4:32 this morning I wasn't sure I'd survive today.
My eyes were watering and just the thought of being on my feet for the next 13 hours exhausted me more.  Today was one of those days you literally take 1 hour at a time and keep yourself away from any sharp objects.  It began when a man old enough to be my dad dropped an f-bomb on me for making him do step-ups.  Say what you want,...just DO IT.  Needless to say, my sanity was questionable by about 3pm...

Honestly though, it was a great day with clients.  Despite my energy levels this week, the fact is that each client does not know the day we've had as trainers, does not know if we're battling something mentally or emotionally, does not know that we've already seen 15 people - 3 of which complained the entire time and cursed like it was part of the routine.  No,...they are simply coming to receive our best.  And the truth is, for that hour, its not about us...its about them.  Giving them all we have and more.  I think the hardest thing about my job is fatigue.  Its exhausting.  And yet the coolest thing about my job is knowing that I'm exhausted from doing what I love, teaching what I know, and changing lives in the process.  I remind myself throughout the day that every client is my first...and somehow my energy and enthusiasm will be renewed for each workout.  And it is...

A little sentimental break there for a sec....ok, on to workout mumbo-jumbo...

I had upper body today.  Reps of 6-8 for 4 sets.  My strength has plateaued slightly in a few lifts, but as long as I'm lifting as heavy as possible, I'm ok with that.

Workout:
Incline DB press
Lat pull-down
Seated BB shoulder press
Seated cable row
DB lateral raises
Alternating DB curls
DB front raise
Lat bar press-down

I finished with some easy cardio...I say "easy", but you really know what I mean.  I did it, that's enough.  I'm excited that my lateral raises have improved tremendously, and my traps are not trying to dominate the movement.  That's been one of the toughest moves for me since I started lifting about 15 years ago.  I have a love/hate relationship with shoulder exercises.  Ehh....

BTW, this is how much I despise doing laundry...as I packed my gym bag last night, fully aware that I had time to do a load of laundry, I said forget it and dug out a pair of dirty gym shorts.  Honestly, they could have been from Monday, I don't know.  And the sad part is that I'm not sure if I could have cared less.  Maybe,...if I tried really hard.  So basically I stunk even before I started lifting.  So unsanitary....and if I sit here any longer I will be a repeat offender tomorrow.  As I told Zimm this afternoon, if I thought I had a line of decency today, I may have crossed it...

Tomorrow is lower/core, then ful-throttle into weekend-relaxation-don't-talk-to-anyone mode.  I need a few days to regroup.  Ok, maybe a week. 

Alright, that's all I got for now,...night!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to push through a tough day with the clients and still pull off a solid workout...maybe now your day will be set if you just refuse to cross that line of decency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You know my day is not complete unless I come close to that line at least once a day!

    ReplyDelete