Monday, August 29, 2011

Attack mode!!

Starting Monday off with a bang.

After my Saturday morning run, I was able to catch up on some rest during the weekend...the hurricane helped as well.  I simply didn't feel like doing much when its pouring down rain and the wind is gusting over 40 mph....oh, and my neighbor's dog was still barking in the backyard.  I may not be a dog-lover, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out there's something wrong with that. Either find a dog with damaged vocal chords, or bring the thing inside.

I was pretty worthless on Sunday...which I needed.  My mom always reminds me that I have to give myself permission to relax.  It's true....I rarely slow down and then get to the point that I completely crash.  Not cool.

SOOOO....lets talk workout.
Today I started my next strength/power phase, and went to 4-6 reps on all my lifts.  Whew, what a mental-shift!  You would think a rep is a rep, but each rep range has to be attacked differently.  I immediately thought of my husband who is a baseball pitcher.  He went from a starter to mid-relief after being drafted and explained to me that each mind set is very different...from your starters, to relief, to closers.  Still pitching from the mound, but different approach.  I thought about that quite a bit while I was lifting...
With the 6-8 rep range I felt like the first 2 would always feel a little easier than the last 2...sometimes a huge difference.  Because, well, I essentially had 6-8 reps to get to failure.  But with 4-6 reps, I needed to be that much closer to failure at rep 1 so that my journey to failure only took 3-5 more!  Thus, everything was heavy as hell from the start.  A couple of times I couldn't even get the weight into position and needed Brian to spot me.  My arms were shaking like I was having a seizure right there in the gym.  There was absolutely no time to let up.  I felt like I had to be in attack mode from the start.  I reached a whole new level of nuts today in the gym, but I had a blast doing it.

My upper split/lifts remained the same as last week, just with heavier weights.  A few numbers for the day....last 2 sets of DB bench press with 55's...last 2 sets of bent over row at 130lbs...BB curls at 50...French press at 45....overall, great lifting day.  I finished with sprints followed by some easy cardio.  I will sleep like a baby tonight....minus the whole crapping-my-pants thing.

Great to have Zimm in on the workout today!  He was able to join in on all the ridiculousness that goes on from 12-2 at the gym.  And there's certainly a whole lot of that...

Just finished some squash, chicken, and asparagus.  Absolutely love asparagus, but it makes my urine smell like a science experiment.  I bet when God made it, he thought to himself, "hey, you know what would be funny..."  The same thing he said when 95% of my friends were born...which is partly why we're friends...
Not even going to try and explain some family members.  But you know that verse "Jesus wept." ??  Yeah, enough said.

Speaking of family, here's a little picture of me and my darling niece Payton from her "official" birthday celebration this weekend...
That was the highlight of my weekend right there.
Ok, that, and when any suspicion I had about Lady GaGa being an attractive male was completely debunked last night on the VMAs.  Seriously, make up your mind, this is exhausting.

Eh, time for some shut-eye...it was a long day and I am in much need of some rest :)  Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment