Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Earth Quaken!!

This will short and sweet because my list of things to do is overwhelming me right now and its only Tuesday.  But ya know, I can't complain.  Today one of my clients was talking about how she does 4 loads of laundry a day on average....I wanted to poke my eyes out just listening.  I hate doing laundry and I do about 1 load every 5-6 days.  How horrible is that?!...And today, I wore a dirty pair of workout shorts instead of washing a pile of clothes last night.  My sanitary practices are questionable...


Leg workout today rocked my sad little world.  Finished at 200lbs on my last 2 sets of squats...pretty darn pumped about that.  At the end of  this week I will post my strength increases over the past 4 weeks.  I've been pleased overall.  And just to disprove any notion out there that women constantly have about lifting heavy weights and gaining a ton of weight...I've been lifting at the 6-8 rep range as heavy as I can possibly handle, my strength has increased tremendously, and yet I HAVEN'T GAINED A POUND.  Why?  Two reasons.  One, I'm not fueling my body to do so.  My calories are not above maintenance right now, so my capacity to put on a bunch of mass is very limited.  I splurge one day on the weekends with a dessert or wine or BOTH since I'm not dieting for a show (and wine keeps me smiling), and I'm actually down 2 pounds from 3 weeks ago.  Secondly, 6-8 reps is actually not the optimal rep range to put on mass....its more like 10-12 or 12-15 (hypertrophy).  6-8 is going to be more about gaining strength than size.  But to optimize the hypertrophy phase, you want to be as strong as you can,...thus, I've spent 4 weeks at 6-8, then will go to reps of 4-6 for more strength and power,...THEN hit 10-12 for several weeks after that.  So there you go.  My rear is still measuring 36".  If you can lift it, then lift it...

Today's workout: (4 sets of 6-8 for each):
Squats
Hamstring curls on machine
Walking lunges
Leg extensions
Ab roll/plank hold on stability ball
Reverse weighted crunches
Full body sit-ups

I've got exactly 1 hour to clean up, send a few emails, and pray I don't curse too much before 8am tomorrow.  (The latter is a losing battle most days).  Have a great night folks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment