Saturday, January 7, 2012

Fabulous Florets

I can't go anywhere without sweating.
We just got home from a church basketball game and I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the stands who looked liked they'd played the entire time.  Its January and my body sweats like its August.  Its a bit ridiculous.

The past 2 days have been very productive to say the least.  Thursday night I managed to undecorate everything just in time for Jersey Shore.  Perfect timing.  Friday was a mixture of cleaning, working out, cleaning, throwing out more stuff,...get the picture?  I was on an OCD roll.  The day I appear on the show Hoarding will be the day Jesus is coming back.  I love getting rid of stuff.  Anyway, that was my Friday and some of my day today.  Workout Friday was pretty solid, but my legs were beyond sore.  I had to do sprints at the end, and it was all I could do to hit 14mph for the last 5 minutes.  This time it wasn't so much my hamstrings as it was my quads.  They felt like a ton of bricks.  I finished, and was glad to be done.
Today was a 5 mile jog...weather was amazing, which made it a little more enjoyable.  I am honestly debating whether or not to go completely plyo/sprints with my leg training for about 3 weeks and focus more on my upper body.  We'll see.
This coming week is going to be a little crazy.  I start teaching 3 ZUMBA classes in addition to my hip-hop class.  I am going to be cardio-out by Saturday.  On top of sprints, my legs will be exhausted.  Yeah,...this will be interesting...

I've eaten so much broccoli today...with tuna....with chicken....by itself...I'm going to turn into a floret.  Oh so good.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the typical new year's resolution to "get healthy, lose weight, eat better, etc..."  Every year people make these resolutions....and every year the majority of people lose momentum and go back to old habits within a few weeks.  And then by November/December they are in the same boat.  Where are we going wrong?  Well, I don't think its all about discipline.  Discipline stems from desire to obtain a particular goal...and that desire comes from a conscious decision to achieve X, Y, or Z.  I think we fail to change our mindset.....that its more than THAT  particular goal.  Its about valuing each step to get there equally....a lifestyle change rather than a destination that may or may not become reality.  Is that to say that you cannot achieve it?  No.  But if the goal is unrealistic, it immediately sets you up to feel like a failure.  And then you're back at square one.  So perhaps we need to start with realistic goals.  Create a plan.  Cultivate a mindset that every aspect of the plan is valuable and that there is no destination without a journey.  Set bench marks along the way.  Then go and don't look back.

On that note, its bedtime.  Night!

2 comments:

  1. I like your take on the resolutions...have you officially decided on reading more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! Its basically forced me to be more diligent with my time at night so that I have at least 20 minutes to read before bed. Sadly, that is much more than I was doing...baby steps :)

    ReplyDelete