Tuesday, November 29, 2011

1 lap to go...and hurl...

I had a man ask me this afternoon what "fit" looks like for him in 20 years.  What a loaded question.  That would put him at 64 years old, and I even laughed a little before answering.  I laughed because I've worked/work with numerous older men who honestly think they should be able to move like they did when they were 20 and feel just as good.  The male ego is a precious and fragile thing ;)  Oh I wish that were the case.  "Fit" at 64 looks different than at 54...and 44...and 34...you get the picture.  I will say though, that starting a workout program in your late fifties feels much different than simply continuing a healthy lifestyle/workout routine that was established many years earlier.
Our bodies get older,...things wear down...that's life.  However, that's not to say we can't maximize our mobility and function at every stage in life.  Its about challenging ourselves to improve on a daily basis...setting realistic goals and holding obtainable expectations for where we are.  Do I expect that man to run a 30 second sprint at 12 mph like he did today in 20 years?  No.  However, if he's healthy enough to push himself to what he perceives as difficult yet doable, I'll take it.

Oh my, what a day.
It was a hectic morning and I will hit the bed like a sac of bricks tonight.  I am pooped.  I hit biceps/triceps today and finished with some mid-distance sprints.  Ok, for clarification, my mid-distance sprints are anything over 30 seconds.  1 minute sprints are torturous for me and bring back horrible memories of middle/high school when I had to run the 400m.  I threw up every time.  Every single time.  I didn't feel too bad though because one of my teammates could never hold her bladder while running in meets.  I don't think I need to go into more detail.  You get the picture.  By turn 3 she needs toilet paper, and I'm about 14 seconds away from projectile vomit.  Neither of us ever got the coaches award...

My weight routine was solid,...12 sets for biceps, 12 for triceps.  Today was the second day in a row for sprints.  I've been in the mood, what can I say.  Honestly, they feel great.  I mean, my hamstrings are tight, core is sore, and my feet ache like hell, but other than that its great.  Ha.  Cardiovascularly, I wasn't as winded as I thought I'd be, and several times I hopped off to check my heartrate to make sure I was getting it high enough.  Yup, 192-198...I was fine with that.  My recovery was better than I thought it would be as well (considering my recent cardio-boycott).  60 seconds post-sprints it was down to 114.  Fine by me.  I survived,...I could breathe,...check and check...

Soooo...since I hit chest on Monday and bis/tris today, that means LEGS tomorrow.  Double whammie on hump day.  Here goes....

I tell ya, after Thanksgiving, its been nice to get back to a routine of clean-eating.  I'm probably still retaining water from all the sugar...pancreas pumping out insulin like fro-yo...

Alright then,...much to do in the next hour or so...then bed...ahhh...I can hear it calling already...

No comments:

Post a Comment