Monday, December 31, 2012

Strapped On and Bracing For 2013

Last day of 2012.
Looking back over the year I am truly amazed its coming to an end.  Its been a year of change, refocus, and daring to move forward in various aspects of my life.  But at the end of the day, its two steps forward.  I firmly believe that perhaps even worse than regressing, is remaining stagnant in who we are and where we are not going.
Life is too short and our impact too great to not move forward. 

Many people will make New Years resolutions...and while I'm not a huge fan of setting unrealistic, lofty goals after too many drinks and no consideration to the actual level of focus and determination required, I will inevitably be a part of many of those journeys.  It does amaze me though how often we make these health-related aspirations, and begin them hungover, sleep-deprived, and bloated from the festivities the night before.
Want to see me personally fail at something,...let me start in that very condition right there.  Hell, just knock 2 hours off my normal sleep time and I am a hot mess for the next 48 hours, and will pretty much live in misery until I can hit the pillow for a solid 7.
With that said, if you have plans to "Eat better!", "Lose 25!", "Exercise more!", or my favorite non-specific goal "Get in shape!" starting tomorrow, you better strap on the big girl/boy pants and embrace the suck for the next few weeks before it becomes routine.  January 2nd you will wake up ready to roll, probably having slept in your spandex and pre-gamed the night before with a protein bar.  But come January 23rd you are tired, don't feel like it, and will have to muster up every ounce of will power you have to drag yourself out of bed.  Do it.  Acknowledge you don't feel like it, but do it anyway.  You have to learn to push past those points.
The inability to do that is why come February, majority of people are in the same boat they were in on December 31st.  Unfortunate, but true.
Healthy choices fuel healthy choices.  Its a cycle that YOU can control for yourself, and yes, its your responsibility.

Do I have a resolution?
Eh,...not really.
But perhaps I need to resolve not to sport duct tape on my car for the 4th or 5th time in my life.  I've lost track.
Its absurd,...I pulled into the drive-thru at the bank the other day and made a mental note that I pulled a little too close (trying to avoid the 'ol hanging-out-the-window move to reach the machine).  Well, after sitting there for more than 20 seconds, I forgot about the mental note and pulled away like I was filming my own version of Fast and the Furious. 
Nailed the stupid pole with my side mirror and the next thing I know its dangling like a broken appendage.  I was so pissed I wanted to rip the thing completely off and hurl it across the parking lot.
I refrained.
I was in a rush to make an appointment, so I drove across the parking lot to the dollar store.
Scissors and duct tape,...I was going to have my own arts and crafts moment right there in the parking lot.
Its all fun and games until you're nearly getting frostbite trying to reattach car parts with duct tape.
I was hating life,....AND the old man sitting in the truck enjoying the view of this entire ordeal.
I'm sure he found it hilarious.  Although, my skills at this particular activity are sadly up to par, so laugh it up big boy.

So here I am entering the new year with a busted mirror, and pulling some Jackie Chan moves to get in and out of my car.
Damn pole.

On a lighter note, we are currently on our annual New Years trip with 3 other couples, a baby, and a growing fetus.  (Not in me just fyi), but our group is growing.
I'm not lactating, so currently out numbered.

Its cold, and getting in a 5 mile jog in 30 degree weather with horrible wind gusts was definitely not my favorite, but its done.
After this coffee kicks in I'll be out for round 2.  It wouldn't be so bad if I could feel my face.  I literally spend the first 3 miles cursing and trying not to focus on the fact that my entire face is getting chapped and my feet are numb.
Its awesome.

Well, its about that time.
Enjoy the last day of 2012, and get your mind right for a new one to come!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment