Tuesday, September 24, 2013

$5 Heart Disease and Minivan Roadtrip

God bless the kids in my neighborhood.
They will play outside until drenched in sweat and developing hip bursitis from cycling for hours on end.  I guess if you're gonna do it, do it right.
But every now and then they make me feel like a jerk.
Today was my lucky day.
I was backing into my driveway when 2 of them ride up and ask if I want to buy some doughnuts.....oh the irony.
At that point I am faced with a dilemma of sorts.  Do I want doughnuts?  No.  Do I want to pay for something I don't want for the sake of their feelings.  Ok honestly, no.  Do I necessarily want that extra box of diabetes floating around for someone else to buy?  No. 
Ugh,...so I smile, say no thanks, and then watch as an 8 year old heart is crushed as he mentally spouts swear words over a dozen doughnuts and a heartless neighbor in spandex.
Such a dreamkiller, I know...

But the whole sell-doughnuts-for-the-sake-of-something kills me.  And honestly not just from a health standpoint, although there seems to be a little irony in giving $5 and receiving an increased heart attack risk and side of extra back fat. 
We humans are not as smart as we like to think sometimes.
Perhaps we should consider alternatives,...like just donating money.  Generosity....what a concept.
 
Boys, if you replace those doughnuts with egg whites, I will make it rain....slight stretch, but perhaps I will continue to let you leave plastic artillery in my yard for sport.

* * *
Great day at the gym.
Typical Tuesday I guess,...and yet not typical.
I met with a new client today, and it sounds like he is on board and ready to roll.  It took me a few years to grasp the whole its-not-my-job-to-convince-you-that-you-need-to-change-your-lifestyle mindset, but it was the best mind-shift I made.
Mainly because well, its true.
Fact is, people will change when they want it enough.  Whatever "it" is.
Unfortunately, we live in a society that will point fingers faster than a 5 year old, and has somehow lost a huge sense of personal responsibility for anything pertaining to self.
Funny, because here's the cold, and very harsh truth:
No one truly cares about your excuses.  Why?  Because they are just that: excuses
Wrong or bad?  No,...because coddling someone in their self-dug pit does nothing but put 2 people in there.
Hard to hear for some, I know...but tis true.

* * *

I mentioned the other day I'd post about the football game Saturday night.
Ah yes, Elon versus Appalachian.
First, it was me against 3 familial App fans.  I was out numbered.  Am I a huge Elon football fan?  Eh, I went there, yes, but there were many a game when I'm pretty sure the bar was packed before kickoff......and the game wasn't on TV.
Nonetheless, I rocked my Elon sweatshirt in the App section and prayed for no confrontation.  Mainly because I was soaking wet and covered in a poncho.  No one ever kicked ass in a poncho.  Period.
Mom sent them from the dollar store.
Not knocking on the dollar store, I'm just saying it was probably serran wrap with a hood...that just looked like a ginormous body condom...

 We had a blast,..packed in a minivan complete with a portable toddler potty and extra seating...
We waste nothing.
This is how a grown man tailgates with what little dignity he can muster while sitting in some cookie crumbs and possible dried urine from a faulty pull-up.
No chance the people beside us could cast judgement....
This was Boone-style beer pong.
No shirt,...no solo cups,...no table.  You rip off your shirt, hold tight to your 12 ounces of hope, and toss a tennis ball 15 yards and pray for the best.
Oddly enough, I respect that.  Then again, I was just a few feet away sitting in the back of a van eating salsa next to a toddler potty.
I judge myself.

We had fun to say the least, and survived the rain, Elon's loss, and everything in between.
I'll leave you with a few more pictures from a Saturday with the Parker siblings (we missed you Jan!!)...












No comments:

Post a Comment