Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What Was...

I got a solid 7 hours of sleep last night and I didn't know what to do with myself today.  It was great.
The thought of anything more than that might overwhelm everyone I encounter, so 7 is probably good...
Not going to lie, I woke up at 3am ready to roll.  Ridiculous.
A few more nights like that and I will honestly pop a roofie and pray for a blurred line of consciousness until its time to get up.

I had a new evaluation this morning, which went great, but I am always amazed by the interactions.  I mean, I've seen everything from vomit to tears, to meltdowns, and so now I pretty much go into it with a helmet on and brace myself for anything.
This morning was tears.
Honestly, I appreciate the honesty because I need to know where my clients are so I can meet them there,...and everyone is different.  I think former competitive athletes have an extremely hard time being able to mentally adjust to various stages in life and appropriately set goals without allowing the thoughts of "who they used to be" get in the way.
I hear it all the time.  And the fact is, the longer you live in the mentality of comparing yourself to others OR "who you were 10 years ago on the field", the longer you live in bondage to the unattainable.  I don't say that with a defeating attitude,...but rather from a realistic viewpoint.  Its not that you cannot be fit or in shape 20 years down the road, or 40 years down the road,...you can.  However, you must allow yourself the freedom to experience a new kind of fit.  Is it lesser than where you were playing Division I?  Only if you choose to look at it that way.  Are you going to train the same?  No,...you'll train smarter.  Are you going to feel the same?  No,...that's called time and wear-n-tear.  Are you going to look the same?  No.
And guess what,...THAT IS FINE. 
Focusing on what was robs you of the here and now, and the opportunity to grow beyond any preconceived limitations based on the before.
Perhaps to some extent we think that if we "let go" of that former self we somehow lose the accolades, the victories, etc....but its far from the truth.  Those will be there.  But placing them on a pedestal in the present closes us off to greater victories in the future.  Different victories, but triumphs nonetheless.
My advice,...acknowledge and appreciate the experiences and accomplishments, and then set them aside.  Not to be forgotten, but to keep your vision clear for the path ahead.

That's a rap for tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment