Tuesday, August 13, 2013

70 Years Young....and Frank's Pants

Ah yes, Tuesday....Monday's unruly stepchild.
Kidding, I'm actually a big fan of Tuesdays....or pretty much any day that is remotely entertaining and filled with awesome people.
My morning was not so typical though, as I went to speak with the Heart and Sole Club of Durham at Northgate Mall.  Honestly, it was a blast, and to speak to a group of folks who, average 70+ years old are committed to staying healthy, was inspiring to me.  There is no telling what I'll be up to at 70, but I'm fairly certain it will involve some version of a squat, hip roll, and uncanny ability to shake what my momma gave me.
Unstoppable.
Who am I kidding, I'll probably lose my mind at 69,...ironic?  Why yes, Alanis, it is...

While we are on that age bracket, I went to visit my grandpa this weekend...
He's my last surviving grandparent, and honestly declining.  Sharp as a tack, but his body is simply giving out.  We had a wonderful visit despite the fact his condo was a sauna and I was 1 conversation from a heat stroke by the time I left.
We talked about everything from taxes to why I was thankful he actually had on pants that day.  Long story short, last time I visited he didn't,...no judgement, heck I don't want to wear pants some days and have no health excuse.  My other grandpa refused shoes or underwear for the latter part of his life, so I was somewhat "prepared" for such apparel issues.  But you know how hard it is to have a conversation, looking someone in the eye when they are missing their pants?
Hard, trust me.
Its like talking to the woman who openly breastfeeds in public without a cover.  Fine, we get it, but its not a matter of me looking at your boob,...your boob is staring at me. 
Same thing applies to pants and your grandpa.
Nonetheless, we laughed and carried on, and it was truly great...

I've had some great emails so far this week from clients who are, for the first time, seeing themselves as they are.  Its great.  What I mean by that is that they are examining themselves from the perspective of themselves instead of others or any ideal perception they've formulated in their heads.  What a huge step.  I think sometimes we look at that concept and assume it only applies to examining our "faults" and shortcomings, and neglect the fact that it also entails seeing our potential, strength, and resilience. 
I'm sure you've heard the saying "You're stronger than you think you are"....Oh I believe that 100%, but it means nothing until you believe it for yourself.
Ultimately, your strides forward or lack thereof on a daily basis stem from a deeper belief in who you are, who you desire to be, and what you're willing to give/release to close the gap.
And to SEE and HEAR people trudging through the process is amazing... 
Day.  Made.

Ok, back to the grind...
Looking forward to an entertaining afternoon and hump day ahead....have a great day folks!
P.S....Ladies, I have not forgotten about your post,...coming soon!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment