Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sweat Problems and Pink Tights

Not even summertime and I am sweating like no other.
The whole "sweating like a whore in church" doesn't even touch it.  Perhaps if she were wrapped in a snuggie.
But I'm thinking whores don't wear snuggies.
Just a guess.
Point is, its not even 80 degrees and I am baking in my own little sauna over here.  I'd like to think its my through-the-roof metabolism.
Its not.
Its more likely a family curse because we all have it.  Mom's excuse is menopause.  Fine.  I'd claim that too if I wasn't 29 with normal hormones and a full-functioning uterus.
So basically the rest of us have no excuse, and "Dri-fit" means nothing....absolutely nothing.

I started the day with an early leg workout.  Not my preference, but my schedule is a little nuts this week and I needed to squeeze in an extra day of lifting.
Not a fan of leg day.
At any given moment, were you to offer me a leg day or kick to the throat, it might be a toss up.  Both leave me feeling like I might hurl.  And if the kick actually gave my backside a "lift" like lunges do, I might sign up for a weekly beating.
Everything went fine except for my attempt at back squats.  I haven't done them in over 2 months because of my butt/back issue, but things have been feeling a little better so I thought I'd try.
Ummm, yeah, that took about 2 reps before I thought I was either going to pass out or rip every muscle and tendon in the ol money maker.  It was horrible.  Pain is up, definitely irritated everything once again, and now I'm hobbling around like a 92 year old.
And if you're 92 with functioning joints and reading this, you should be offended.  I apologize.
Needless to say, I checked the workout off the list and I was happy to get on with my day. 

Its been a great day so far in the gym.
Athletes got in their sprints this morning, clients were focused and ready to roll,...I have no complaints.
I had a great conversation with a couple of ladies about children in sports, training, and how to decide when and what to place them in....
This comes up quite a bit probably because it's extremely popular now for kids to basically "choose" one sport and play it year-round.  On some level I'd argue that they are forced to.  With sports like soccer and baseball, the fact is that college scouts/coaches are rarely going to a ton of high school games anymore.  They are crowding the stands of the tournament teams on the weekends to be able to see numerous gifted athletes at one location.  It makes sense.  BUT it does make it hard for kids who have interests in more than one sport.  Yes, at some point an athlete will choose a focus, but that does not (and I would argue should not) happen at 9 years old.
Children need to experience an array of body movements, mechanics, and patterns to ultimately develop skills and build athleticism needed for every sport.  Does this mean they should be in an organized sport at the age of 4?  No.  And actually, trying to teach a 4 year old to be competitive on the field and yet "share" and "be nice" elsewhere is well, pretty damn confusing to them.  Period.
Bottom line: just keep them ACTIVE.  Whether its dance, playing dodgeball, learning to jump rope, playing freeze-tag,...they ALL work on basic body movement/awareness and mechanics and in a way that is safe and fun. 
The fact is when I see an athlete for the first time, I am handed a clean, but limited slate.  There are certain things such as instinct and natural athleticism that I or anyone else cannot teach.  Those are fostered early in life and some have it, and some don't.  Not to say athletes cannot improve,...they can,...but the degree to which is definitely individually based and contingent on factors such as fundamental starting point upon training, effort, and natural potential.  Skills are different.  Those can be taught and fostered with not as much dependency on natural talent.  Yes, natural talent certainly helps, but as the quote says "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."
When it comes to skills this is certainly true for many athletes.

The bottom line from this conversation is this:...get your kids involved in ACTIVITY.  Don't initially focus so much on the sport at such a young age, but rather exposing them to a variety of movements and experiences that foster overall improved body mechanics/awareness.
Though I retired the tutu, I am truly grateful for my dance experience early on.  The pink tights were not necessarily my thing, BUT I cannot deny those calypsos and jete leaps didn't give this white girl some hops.  I'm pretty sure my volleyball coaches were grateful at some point...

Have a great hump day folks!



No comments:

Post a Comment