Monday, June 17, 2013

Home of the Brave...and the Fairies

Already Monday.
Despite a low-key (sort of) weekend, it absolutely flew by and when the alarm went off at 4am I was that much closer to a melt-down.  I woke up exhausted.
Not the best way to start a more-than-full work week, but you suck it up and keep rolling.  By 10am tomorrow morning my sympathy in the gym might reach an all time low...

Father's Day was great with the fam....Sparkles was out of control.
I show up and she's running around in cheetah print pants replacing door nobs, preparing food, and basically giving me anxiety just watching the whole thing.

Yes, I was literally sitting on the toilet watching mom replace a door nob.
This is how I spend my Sunday afternoons.
Envious, I know.

The best though was walking around "the empire" as they like to call it.
It all of a sudden hit me that my parents are officially getting older.  Not because they have wrinkles or bladder issues, but because there is a growing amount of random crap collecting in the yard.  Statues, bird feeders, fountains, fire pit, chairs,...the list is overwhelming.
Even fairy houses...yes, that's right.  I don't want to have to explain this, but lets just say the grandchildren now believe fairies inhabit a certain tree at the Parker house.  As I watched a 2 year old lean down to talk with the fairies, I realized this is my future...And "normal" means absolutely nothing to us...
This is where mom would say "I'm sorry I'm an embarrassment...blah blah"....ha, definitely not embarrassed.  Entertained?  Yes.  Embarrassed?  No.
String up some Christmas lights and add a few tiki torches for all I care.  Throw the fairies a party.  More power to you mom.

In all seriousness though, I thought a lot about my dad this weekend and all that he's contributed to my nearly 30 years on this planet.
I can honestly say I admire my dad....as a parent, friend, coach, leader, and encourager.  There were certainly times I thought he was out to just make my life harder, but then amazingly I grew up and gained a new perspective.
If there is one thing I believe that man has not only taught me but also lived himself, its that true character is revealed in how you treat others who can offer you nothing.
I am beyond grateful for this example because the truth is we are all on this journey together...all equal...all seeking a sense of purpose, value, and confidence in who we are.
Thank you dad.



Well, that's a rap.  More to come tomorrow....and the countdown to my talk this Saturday (still taking questions via email to cover!)...
Have a great day folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment