Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Drunk and Haggard

More often than not my Tuesday morning feels like a recovery from a Monday beating.  Apparently I took shots in my sleep because the undeniable life-hangover this morning was pretty darn intense.  Once I get my first sips of coffee I'm usually good to go,...its actually getting to that point that is the struggle...

In no way did I actually feel like working out today,...in all honesty, I was so tired before I began that my chances of passing a walk-the-line test were pretty slim.  I was tired-drunk.
You know exactly what I'm talking about...
You're so tired you feel drunk,...haven't drank,...but feel like you might as well drink,...so you just marinate in your own worthlessness.  Yeah, that is generally the state I fight at least a few times per week.
I try not to show it, but people every now and then comment "Mer you look tired!"....which we all know is code for "you look like hell"...
Yes, I know.
I promise my goal is not to look like a portrait of awful and haggard prior to 4pm everyday.
That inevitably comes later...

Despite my desperate need for sleep, I got through a great workout and stayed awake in the shower.  Yes, I have dosed off during a scrub down. 
Not my proudest moment.
Add it to the list.

* * *

...Had a great conversation with a client this morning about setting goals and just what it looks like on an individual basis.
I covered this last Saturday, and it seemed to be a eye-opener for many in terms of long-term/short-term aspirations.
One thing I've noticed is that the majority of folks fail to honestly examine the day to day goals they can set and achieve to ultimately give them momentum to reach the long term ones.  As I've said before, it is critical to acknowledge these steps and victories along the way because they are important growth steps and catalyst for greater strides.  It may look different from person to person, but in essence it is the basic steps that move you forward...wherever "forward" goes for you.  And sometimes its not these huge nutritional/workout accomplishments we traditionally think of.  It can be anything that contributes to a greater YOU and ultimately betters the mind/body/soul you present to the world on a daily basis.
Here are a few examples:
- Incorporate 2 new stretches at the end of my workout
- drink 1 more glass of water
- increase weight on ____ exercise by 10%
- Spend 15 minutes leisurely reading with no distractions
- do not skip any meals due to "busyness" 
- Get in bed 10 minutes earlier

All of these are health related, but different...and doable!

Today, my list includes earlier bedtime and not putting a teenager in a headlock for complaining...
Small steps.



No comments:

Post a Comment