Sunday, September 23, 2012

Passed Out.

This weather is unbelievable.
If you live around here and didn't contemplate taking off your shirt at least once today you didn't truly appreciate it.  Gender is irrelevant.  It was a no-shoes, no-shirt, pants-optional kind of day.  Where was that part of the song Kenny?

Despite the gorgeous weather, I managed to wake up feeling like I spent last night in a bar taking shots with the best of them.  Horrible headache,.....after 1500mg and a few hours in solitary confinement I was a more manageable human being. 
It was a busy weekend to say the least...Kelly and I hosted a wedding shower for Jordan and Jan, and manged to pull it off successfully without burning down the house or offending anyone.  (The latter is still up for debate).

Thankfully amidst a pile of work, I was able to rest and get a lot of reading done today.  I went back and forth between 2 extremes:  Chelsey Handler and Gordon Livingston.  Despite her ability to drink....a lot....Handler's word pictures are pretty darn good.  And by good I mean creative and inappropriate 98% of the time.   Got to appreciate that.
Instant laugh.
Stop taking yourself so seriously.  Read it.

On a health note...
I had someone this weekend ask about my "tough love" towards folks about choosing to pull ourselves out of the health-related pits they dig.  What she was getting at, but didn't want to outright say it, was she felt that I only address people with an overweight/obese problem....or that I'm only "harsh" towards them, when there are obviously other types of food-related struggles out there. 
Let me clarify something...
When I speak of our "health/fitness journey", it refers to EVERYONE.  That means, yes, the person who needs to lose 50 pounds, but also to the person who needs to gain weight and a proper prospective with food.  I've mentored and worked with dozens of people with diagnosed eating disorders, and others who might as well have a label too.  And I'm 99.9% certain they would say I attack their issue with the same tough love.  "Healthy", and the steps necessary to get there look different for everyone.  There is no cookie-cutter method.  I've got people who need to clear out the pantry, and I've got others who need to practice eating peanut butter once a week to face their fear and realize they will be OK doing it.  In both circumstances, we all have a choice....to muster up courage to change and move forward, or refuse it and marinate in a false sense of security and happiness.
My point is, no matter what your particular means-to-health looks like, I will always encourage and push for action.  If it seems harsh, I don't apologize because its with urgency understanding that we are given one body and one mind.  Thus, its OUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY to make healthy decisions on a daily basis to foster growth, balance, and a sense of accomplishment.
Embrace the opportunity,...WHATEVER that path looks like.

I have a feeling that is going to spark a few emails...

Well, I've got a load of dishes staring at me that are naturally not going to wash themselves.  Booo.  I'll leave you with this picture of Oscar. 
Apparently he slipped himself a roofie.  Completely passed out.







Monday awaits,....go get it.

2 comments:

  1. To the lady who thinks you are only "harsh" to people who are obese/overweight..she must not be paying attention b/c you push every single person who walks through those doors to be their best! It's your job to do that; it's your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks Phyllis,...tis true...I love what I do. Nice job on that run this morning, AND the weekend...on a roll!!

    ReplyDelete