Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The next 24 hours

Rainy day...
Its amazing how your body just wants to sleep, preferably in fetal position, when its gross outside.  I probably could have crawled back in bed at any given point during the day...one of those days...

Workout was great.  It was leg/core day....I squatted until I thought I might bleed.  5 sets of 8 to start off the workout.  But honestly, I felt strong through the entire thing.  I finished with 35 minutes of cardio...mixing incline walking, jogging, and the elliptical. I needed a little variety...

Random thoughts...
Today I was struck by this whole notion of will power.  Where does it stem from and why does it seem like some people "have more" when it comes to fitness/nutrition.  And, is it more about ignoring natural tendencies/desires or focusing solely on the end goal to the point that distractions are not even in our peripheral vision?  And where is the line in practicing adequate will power to resist those things that cause you to stray while also giving yourself permission to achieve excellence but not this intangible notion of perfection?  A client once said "striving for perfection is dehumanizing."  I couldn't agree more.  There is no such thing...a mere self-constructed and often inaccurate measure of success that leaves everything short of it deemed as failure.  Sounds extreme and ridiculous and yet we do it all the time....
Perhaps I don't have any answers to this random side-note, but I'll leave you with this...
Perfection implies a destination, a tangible end....but there is no end here.How about we shift our focus from the will power we think we need to achieve our distorted idea of our "perfect selves" and simply practice the discipline it takes to get up everyday and approach the next 24 hours as small opportunities to improve.  Change the focus to one positive, offensive decision at a time....each a step...equally important....leading to a better, healthier, more-aware self.   

On that note, have a great night :)

1 comment:

  1. Good food for thought...some good points for me to keep in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete