Sunday, November 18, 2012

Shackled

With the exception of events and the minimal social life I like to imagine I have, I generally spend the weekend swimming in emails and training from behind the computer.  From workout programs and nutritional plans, to mentoring young athletes I can honestly say there is never a dull moment in my professional life.  Thank God.  When I get bored, its never good....pretty much explains much of my decision making of 2001...sorry mom.
But I am always amazed by how much I truly have to study the personalities of my clients.  The fact is that part of my "job", (although some trainers fail to get this), is to train/guide clients in the best way possible that will effectively assist each individual in making lifestyle changes. 
I do not treat every client the same in the weight room.
I do not encourage everyone the same.
My communication style changes.
Every body/mind/drive/self-perception/personality/habits/etc can be like night and day...exhausting to think about, and yet crucial to understand and appreciate to truly be effective on a daily basis.

With all that said, despite personality differences there are certain topics/issues that I come across pretty regularly when it comes to training and nutrition:

* Women afraid to pick up weights in fear of turning into a man
* People thinking they have to starve themselves to lose weight
* The misconception that if you eat fat you'll get fat
.....the list could go on and on....

But this weekend I was faced with probably one of the most common issues for females trying to lose weight.  Yes, I'm sure guys are guilty as well, but based off of my experience its the ladies who struggle with it the most.
And that is....getting on the scale E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y.
Some of you already started sweating because you've been on that thing like a pogo stick the last 10 years of your life.
I get it.
Well, my dear client asked me to share this with all of you so I simply cut and pasted straight from my email to her (yes, I can be just as blunt via email).  Perhaps it can shed some light on the subject for those of you who are held hostage to the scale...



 First, let me celebrate the fact that you were completely on point with everything this week!  And to steer clear of the habitual snacking is absolutely huge.  That is practicing some serious willpower, but I hope over the next few weeks it will not feel like such a huge exertion of energy to do so...that you won't even have to think about it.  Ultimately, we want food to sort of take a backseat in your mind so that you are able to use it as fuel, emotionally detach yourself from it, and truly enjoy life without the constant obsession if you will, about it. 
So lets talk about the weight for a second.  Here's the honest truth,....KNOWING YOUR WEIGHT ON A DAILY BASIS DOES NOT EFFECT WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE LOSING, GAINING, OR MAINTAINING. Read that again.

What I want to emphasize is that your need to KNOW the number actually has NO influence on the actual process itself, but only sets you up to be on an emotional rollercoaster.  Think about it,...before you step on that scale you are setting yourself up for either a moment of extreme satisfaction or disappointment.  And the worst part is that the actual difference between the two emotional extremes can be as little as 1/2 a pound!  8 freak'n ounces.  You could crap that.  So my point is that its not worth the constant up and down and energy spent to know that number everyday.  Because you know as well as I do that if that number is not what you want it to be at any given moment, it will effect the rest of your day.  So ultimately you have to release that control and learn (by experience and practice...scary, but necessary), that you can thrive and meet your goals without weighing yourself on a daily basis.  Go back and read that sentence in bold....its the absolute truth.  :)
 

 .....Continue to attack your illogical thoughts WITH logic.  The more you do it, the easier it gets and pretty soon you'll naturally operate in a more realistic, healthy state of mind when it comes to food.  I promise, and say this from my own experience. 
I am a firm believer in becoming who you want to be to ultimately become who you want to be.  What I mean is, if you want to become someone who has a healthier, balanced perspective on food, then you must operate as such before it becomes second nature.  You must act like that very person you are striving to become, even when it completely clashes with your nature/tendencies right now.  Its like having an athlete who has the opportunity to compete at the national level but continues to train like they did in middle school.  If they want to compete at the next level they must train like they're already there.



Its a journey folks, but always moving forward.   
Good rest and back at it tomorrow...




No comments:

Post a Comment