Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Holiday Creeper

I woke up this morning in a pseudo-intoxicated state wondering what day it was, where I was, and if I was running late.  I was a mess for the longest 22 seconds of my life until I realized it was Tuesday, I was in fact in my bed, and 4:16 was right on schedule.  Unbelievable.  Nothing like an early morning freak-out to get the day rolling.

This work week has been a quick one.  I've got 2 golfers tomorrow and then I am "done" until Sunday. 
Honestly, I need to try and get some rest this week, but am well aware that there's a greater chance I'll be up cleaning something by 5am most days.  Those of you who are in bed and in deep sleep I curse you....am envious, but I curse you just a little.


On a Thanksgiving note...

Its been a topic for the last week or so in the gym as people gear up for family events and meals that could feed a small village in most countries.
I am always amazed by the number of people traveling for the holidays, and usually dreading some aspect of the whole experience.  Either the travel...or the actual people awaiting their arrival.
Ha....laugh to keep from crying....or drinking heavily.
Its the holidays folks.  Strap on a helmet and hang on for dear life.
We are fortunate enough to have our entire family within a 25 mile radius.  Which should scare the hell out of everyone else in that same area.  We're like a reoccurring bad rash.
While we are always expected to be at every event, its nice not to have people stay with us for days on end.  No offense to my family, but the last thing I want to see at 5am is the face of someone who is forced to use my toilet and drink my water for the sake of a holiday but secretly wishes we weren't related.
I get it.
Perhaps I'm scarred from the days when my dad would wake me up with a video camera in my face while mom sang soprano.  This was my Christmas morning.  Pretty sure its not what Jesus envisioned. 
It only took him 20 years to figure out people actually get arrested for that crap now.
Creeper.

In all seriousness though, I think its extremely important to actually LIVE in a state of thankfulness.  Its sad that we put such emphasis on it for roughly 1 month out of the year and then go on to live our hectic, nose to the grind lives. 
We miss the daily blessings. 
We miss the moments that come to define us.
We become overwhelmed by things that do not matter. 
I genuinely hope amidst the craziness of unruly relatives and sugar-hangovers, we can learn to pause and appreciate the seemingly little things that make life enjoyable, comforting, and a personal journey.

Well, I'm going to get my mind right for the next 3 days.
By Friday afternoon I will not be allowed in public.  I will have been out all night shopping and trying to refrain from using judo-moves on anyone before 3am.  After that, fair game.

Night folks!




No comments:

Post a Comment