Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Adjusting the Sails...

Waking up from a nap is my ultimate moment-of-truth.
I open my eyes, lift my head, and think "oh dear God I think I'm paralyzed"...realize I'm not, lay there 5 more minutes, and then finally sit up looking like I just got assaulted in my sleep.
Its quite the process.

I couldn't take it any longer though...I was exhausted.
I crawled on the PT table and managed to fall asleep with the lights on, TV on, music blaring, and the cleaning lady vacuuming the gym.  Can I technically count that as a talent?  Being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere?...
I hope so.  I can't sing or juggle...give me something.

I struggled through today's workout more so than normal, which I expected.  Some days are just like that.  They suck.
You embrace it and move on.
I had a man yesterday apologize for "not being great today."  Of course I nearly smacked him,..."what?!"...He completed everything on point, successfully nailed 2 new exercises, and didn't complain the entire time.  So it shocked me when he said this.
The fact was, he didn't feel his performance was "great" because his perceived effort was so much greater.  It was just one of those days he had to try harder to give his best.  He struggled more.  He was tired, stressed, and facing an hour of ME (doesn't always spark excitement as the first emotion,...shocking, I know).
I think we forget sometimes that our ability to be consistently GREAT (as we define it in the gym), is affected by numerous factors...
stress, sleep, nutrition, hydration, focus, soreness, tightness, yesterday's workout, clarity,...the list could go on...
The point is not to beat yourself up when it seems harder than it usually is,...the point is to GIVE WHAT YOU'VE GOT IN THAT MOMENT.
Accept the fact that everyday is different and you have to be willing to adjust the sails a bit.  What I mean is that sometimes your mind will lead your body and talk yourself through the struggle,...and other times you have to shut your mind up and let your body just MOVE. 
Both are fine. 
Both allow yourself the opportunity to improve without the pressure of perfection.
Just keep going...

Onto the rest of my day.
I think Oscar truly set the tone this morning when he vomited on my laptop....its only up from here.
Back to the grind!




No comments:

Post a Comment