Monday, April 29, 2013

Ovary Overload

It rained all night so naturally I woke up half unconscious with my face plastered to the pillow.
I wasn't sure where I was, if it was Monday or Thursday, or why my hair smelled like a blend of yankee candle and fiesta seasoning.
Long night.
But here we are...

The weekend was jam-packed with my girls.  Coffee with my sisters (I've decided that sister-in-law sounds distant and impersonal for 2 people who have seen my bare ass and know way too much about me to leave the scene at this point),...brunch with my college roommates,...Payton's soccer game,....it was definitely an all-about-the-ovaries weekend.
I had an absolute blast and am quite blessed to be surrounded by such amazing women.


On a fitness note, I have to share the highlight of my week.
I received a text from a young lady which basically said For the first time in 2 years I am at peace with my body.
It gave me chills.
Many people think that being a personal trainer is all about getting people to push away from the table, but I also deal with the other side of that coin.  I've worked with countless women who struggle with an eating disorder and body image issues.  It is the flip side of the same coin, and can be devastatingly powerful when not addressed.
It honestly breaks my heart to watch women literally hate themselves into a state of desperation.  I get it.  Nearly 40 pounds ago I was there.  Thin and miserable.  Sounds ironic, but it was the realist hell I've ever experienced. You fight like hell against who you are in that moment for the hope that one day you will look in the mirror and be content.  And when you're on the floor in tears screaming, the thought of contentment is beyond foreign.
That text hit home,...hard.
But what a breakthrough moment.  I was so excited for her I can hardly explain.
Everyone's journey is different,...but at the end of the day we are all fighting our way towards a greater self.

Night folks.  Make tomorrow extraordinary.


No comments:

Post a Comment