Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Double Shot of Water

I just got home from the I-40 version of The Italian Job.
I had to check my speedometer several times because cars were flying by left and right.  All of a sudden I felt like I was losing some low budget NASCAR race, and instinctively sped up like the post-work-driving-maniac I am.
Ok fine, I'm not.
By that point in my day I spend half the time trying to stay awake at stoplights and the other half trying to maintain my religion as some ding-dong fails to use his turn signal. 
I hate that. 
Seriously, it takes approximately 1.2 seconds and at least one semi-functioning hand.
Figure it out.
Needless to say, I made it home safely and partially sane.

I had some great AHA! moments with clients today.  Highlight of my week.
There was a lot of nutrition talk, from questions about coconut milk to understanding that willpower is not at an endless supply.
One woman came to me with a topic that I'd say is pretty common when it comes to making lifestyle changes and truly making it work in every situation.
SOCIAL EVENTS/PARTIES.
Ah yes, we all have inner rockstars that want to creep out every now and then, booze it up, and imagine that calories consumed while intoxicated somehow don't count.  Ha.  Far from it I'm afraid.
So she, (and many others in my experience), respond with this feeling of deprivation and overall sense that such events are major roadblocks in their journey.
BUT, they do not have to be.  They become "roadblocks" because we make them such.  Who says you have to eat every appetizer put in front of you?
Who says you have to drink like a fish to have a good time?
Yes, it requires some will power, but at some point you have to decide what you want more.  If it means facing a little judgment from others for being the only one not drinking or throwing down chicken wings like its your last meal,....ask yourself a bigger question,...Why do I care so much what they think?
Perspective people.  All about perspective.

No, you cannot live in a hole your entire life and never go to another party or food-related gathering for the sake of your goals.  However, you can take responsibility, own your decision to stick to your plan, and then create a plan of action.
One thing I suggested to my dear client was to tell a couple of people/friends right when she arrives that she will not be drinking and share her desire to enjoy the event but stay focused on her healthy goals.  It creates accountability and ultimately makes her less likely to cave when temptation strikes.
In the end, it builds her confidence, creates momentum for future proactive steps, and gets her that much closer to her goal.
Very cool stuff.

Its already 8:30 and I've got to shred some lettuce for tomorrow.  Story of my life.
I've cursed produce the last few days because apparently I cannot prepare any meal without slicing my hand open.
I look like I played with razors in the dark.
Ridiculous.

On that bloody note, have a great night and refocus for tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment