Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cracked Out...

Snow days simply are not the same at 30 with a job.  Its just a domino effect of work delays, schedule changes, profit hits, and the list could go on.... Versus when you're 12 years old and missing science class and an inevitable locker malfunction seemed like a gift from God.
Waking up to a snow/ice infested road and school cancellations meant my phone was blowing up at 5:30.  By 7am I realized my life would take a downhill turn if my thumbs gave out at any moment...  (Also fleeting thought while holding a cup, bat, or anything with a handle).
I stayed in bed until 7, which was unheard of, and had a caffeine headache by the time I rolled over and manged to get my rearend out of bed.
I was s-t-r-u-g-g-l-i-n-g.  6 cups later I was semi-sane.  Emphasis on the semi-...

Speaking of hands...
I've had numerous people make product suggestions to me about my cracking hands....yes, it is a huge problem, and they hurt like no other from about mid-December until March.  Honestly, it looks like a badger attacked my poor phalanges.  Here's the latest...ugh...



I made it to the gym by mid-day, but with schools out and what not, people cancelled and it ended up being a fairly light day.  All this aggression and so few people to take it out on.  Ok kidding,...sort of.
I had an interesting question thrown at me today...
He asked if I feel mad or frustrated with clients who don't see results,...in the context of taking the responsibility of it solely upon myself.
8 years ago I may have thought a little differently, but today I have to say that in general, no I don't.  (And this goes for any trainer worth a damn)...each party pulls their weight,...no pun intended.  Its a journey side by side, not one dragging another.  I do my part, you do yours. 
The problem is that we are so used to a lifestyle of quick solutions and blaming others for things that are essentially our responsibility.  This inevitably creates a host of problems when it comes to our health and overarching perspective of ourselves.  Until we recognize our ability to change ourselves, we'll remain dependent on others to do so...which is both ironic and sad because...well...they can't.
Not sure if my response surprised my client, but it was honest.
My job is not to GIVE a quick fix, but to empower and cultivate the tools necessary to continue an ever-improving-journey that is marked by personal responsibility, self motivation, and dedication to a greater goal. 
I do my job.
You do yours.

Well, on that note, I am headed upstairs to begin my nightly routine of neosporin, band-aids, lotion, and gloves or these ridiculous hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment