Monday, November 18, 2013

Bright Lights, Boys, and Back Fat....

Last year at this time my house was fully decorated for Christmas, gifts already being wrapped, and Santa practically breaking in the back door.
This year, I have no clue how many days until he puts a handful of coal or feces in my stocking, nor is my tree up.  Ridiculous.
Oh but I have a plan.
Everything is ready to roll, just have to find a few hours of pseudo-sanity to create the mess of getting everything up without ripping my hair out.  The thought of stringing lights on a tree gives me hives.  It will be one of those things I do at like 5am before all the caffeine has kicked in and my brain hasn't had a chance to fully embrace the anxiety attack waiting to happen with 500 lights and a fake spruce.
Strap on your helmet and light-up sweater vest, its going to be an interesting holiday season folks...

Today was a pretty standard Monday in the gym, however I swear I was swimming in testosterone all day.  Generally, I see more women than men, but today I think it was reverse.  My teenage boys trip me out the most though.  Stories, perspective on life,...never a dull moment.  Its only about 30% of the time that I have to threaten lives to make sure they truly hear what is coming out of my mouth.  God help my children one day...

I had a client message me today about his fat.
Yes, his fat.
And honestly I hear some version of this all the time,..."I'd rather store fat in my ____, than my _____."   Fill in the blanks as you wish between gut, butt, thighs, back, etc...
Hell, from the age of 12 to 20 I practically begged God to cause the migration of my fat to head towards the general chest area. 
Then I gave up,...and after listening to Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers" on repeat for the better part of 8th grade, I gathered myself together and trashed my dreams of ever working at Hooters...or on a pole. 
You're welcome dad.
But on a positive note, if I ever need to wear my sportsbra backwards I am totally there...

So back to my client's fat...(sounds so uplifting)...
Bottom line is we cannot control WHERE our bodies choose to store fat.  That is genetic.  Also, there are no exercises than directly cause fatloss in one specific area when performed.  Period.
Throw that idea out right now.
Whether your body is actually in a fat-burning state boils down to nutrition and overall caloric expenditure (including lifestyle/exercise).  Believe me, if I could immediately zap fat right off the hips of people with a few exercises, I would....and charge enough so my rearend would not be rolling out of bed at 3:45 in the morning more often than not.
But I can't, and the fact is that fat-loss requires work and dedication.  Should it be miserable?  Absolutely not.  But, it takes effort and attention to the things that contributed to the issues in the first place.

Well, on that note, I am beyond exhausted and need to sleep fast....
Tuesday will be here shortly...woohoo!  Game time!


No comments:

Post a Comment