Tuesday, July 1, 2014

31 Candles and a Breast Pump

The week following vacation is always an interesting one.
...Its finding a balance between too extreme emotions: being eager to resume a routine and establish some order back to your life, and then saying to hell with putting on pants and having responsibilities. 
My week was a little nuts to say the least, but manageable and with the anticipation of birthday weekend, I was able to survive life back in the gym.
I was beyond excited to get back into lifting after a week off and bloody feet from running.  Toenails have not grown back yet, which I'm truly ok with.  Two less that I have to paint.  I know, the extra effort is exhausting to think about....BUT, they do feel so much better.  Look horrible, but feel better.

And yes, I splurged a little on vacation.  Pita chips, beer, wine, reeses pieces....yes it was good, but honestly I was ready to take a plain chicken breast and some broccoli to the face when I got back.  Between my mangled feet and the diabetes I was working on, my body was hating me just a little....as it should.

Sooooo, yes it was my birthday this weekend...thank you all who sent emails/texts, I truly appreciate the thoughts and wishes.  I could not have asked for a better 31st birthday.  I spent it with my closest friends laughing, dancing, and pretty much squeezing everything out of a Saturday night that we possibly could.  I am still recovering from lack of sleep, but it was worth it....from Blair's breast pump to our ridiculous moves on the dance floor, it was never a dull moment.  And a shout out to the recent graduates who thought it was my 25th birthday and not my 31st...apparently I'm on my way to cougar status.
Side note: what hotel requires a 10am checkout anymore?  Ah, not a great birthday present Hilton, figure it out...

In all serious though, I do like to reflect each year about what I've learned through this beautiful mess we call life.  In the good, bad, ugly, and down right unfathomable, there is wisdom and potential growth if we choose to simply look at it as opportunity.  No, I'm not where I thought I'd be at 31 had you asked me 10 years ago, but I excitedly anticipate things to come and welcome the challenges and changes ahead.
With all that said, here are a few reflections from my 30th year.....

* Falling down is inevitable.  Staying down is a choice.

* You'll stop giving up when you consciously eliminate the option to do so.

* True colors are often purposefully concealed and carelessly unveiled.

* You'll find out what you're truly made of amidst the struggle.....and on a mechanical bull at 1am.

* Your feet will always follow your focus.

* Ultimately, the question is whether you are going to wholeheartedly say YES to your adventure...

* At the end of the day your greatest opponent is self-doubt.

* Be grateful for the here and now.  Its purpose we may never truly know, but its potential to change us for the better is limitless.

* Surrender can be a great thing...

* If you must be one thing, be honest...to yourself...and others. 


Here's to 31...the laughter and tears that got me here, and the journey that awaits.  It will be a year of great things to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment