Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sandy Crotch > Frostbit Toes

Holy hump day...yes, last Wednesday...because that's when I started this post. 
...Then Jack Frost arrived, put us all in a full nelson, and here I am a few days later and still recovering.
After 24 hours of no human contact, cleaning, napping, organizing, and periodically checking on the sanity level at other Parker homes, I had to get out of there.
My own Shawshank Redemption escape began Friday morning at 6:45am.  Me, a shovel, and way too many expletives for any kid-infested cul-de-sac.  But I made it.  The first few feet were not bad, and you're still all "I got this!"...10 or 15 yards in, and you clearly see why Russians drink and why God invented the beach.
I'd rather risk second degree burns on a nude beach in August.  Lather me up.
By the time I reached the end of my driveway I was mentally done, and absolutely convinced that sand in the crotch of your swimsuit is better than snow in your boots.
I'd rather risk the grit.  Rash,...fine,..whatever.  They make cream for that.

...I hope that groundhog suffocates in his hole.

The snow sneaked up like a total creeper, and I was cooped up with 'ol Oscar for awhile.   I was probably the only person who didn't get to the store before all the mess, but no worries...I cooked enough chicken to last til Spring.
No flashlight, no generator, limited toilet paper, but I had meat.  Lots of meat.

Speaking of meat, I mentioned last week that I'd post a product review for you....I've got Jerky...
I was pretty pumped about trying this because it was a standard go-to snack for me at Elon in the library.  Coffee and jerky.
Heaven.
Minus the books....and studying...and annoying group work going on 5 feet away with the one know-it-all who actually does not know-it-all.  Sorry to be the messenger.  Your group wishes you would lose your voice.....permanently.
Back to my jerky.
The company is Two Brothers Jerky based out of Durham,...shout out to the locals!!  I tried the Bull City Original, Sweet Ninja Teriyaki, and the Famously Hot.  Love the names.


Ok, honestly I think the original is my favorite.  The texture is great (not as tough/fatty as Jack Link's or Oberto brand, and much leaner beef).  Smokey flavor, but not overwhelming.  The sweet teriyaki was indeed sweet, but not to the point of it overpowering the beef.  A good balance if you want the sweet flavor.
The hot,....let me preface this by saying I think the mild sauce in most places are hot.  And despite the fact that I enjoy good flavor, I also enjoy being able to use my esophagus the next day.  Crazy, I know.
Yes, I thought the hot was in fact hot, BUT just enough not to make me wish I'd eaten it with a bucket of ice handy.
Here's their website to order directly from the Bull City..  http://www.twobrothersjerky.com/

Ok, here we go Saturday,...back to the grind with clients and awaiting some warmer weather.  Currently, 39 and rainy....yessss.  Two more days of this and I'll be on a permanent Florida field trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment