Monday, February 16, 2015

Pedestrian Hazard

First time in New York that I am blogging from the comfort of my bed.
Yes, after 4 months, I finally bought internet service.  Its amazing I didn't go through withdrawal...or get kicked out of Starbucks.
Actually, there are only 2 reasons I would ever get kicked out of a coffee shop....1) for saying something completely inappropriate within earshot of a small child....or 2) for jumping behind the counter and placing my head under the coffee dispenser.  That's it.  Although I'm sure they're not exactly thrilled with people staying for 3 or 4 hours...I'd probably hate me too. 
...things I don't have to worry about anymore...woohoo!

It was a beautiful thing once the ol World Wide Web was up and running.  Welcome to 2015 Meredith...high speed internet, solar powered machines, and enough unfortunate selfies to make anyone want to burn their phone. 
Yay for technology.
But in all seriousness, its been a great thing not having to answer every nightly email on my phone.  By 11pm I'm generally one CC away from my thumbs swelling up and refusing to function.

In other news, I managed to give myself a mild concussion Thursday night.
Unbelievable.  I will literally be the only person roaming the streets of NY wearing a helmet and caution tape for the sake of everyone.
...I was on my way back to the gym and running to make the bus in time.  I started to pick up speed and quickly turned to see if Chris was right behind me.  Mistake.  As I turn back around, I had zero time to react as this guy was exiting the local diner.  Bless his heart, he had no clue that his southwest omelet was going to be capped off with a defensive screen route turned ugly.
I nailed him.
Not even a quick brush of the shoulder or arm-swipe.  Nope, it was full-on contact that left me wishing Chris caught it on camera.  Because my God, if I was going to hit someone like that, I want to be able to analyze the impact.  Duh.
It was only seconds afterwards that my head started pounding and my stomach felt nauseous.  Funny, and yet I honestly thought I was going to throw up on the bus.  I didn't want to be that person.  No one likes the person who smells like vomit.  Period.
Long story short, I made it through my sessions that night and avoided blacking out (win).  The next 2 days I definitely had a lingering headache, and today has been a gradual improvement.
Lesson learned: avoid high speeds on the sidewalk, and when in doubt pack proper head gear.

Ah yes, fitness...
I received a text this past Friday that absolutely made my day.  Here was a woman on a mission to lose substantial weight and coming out of several weeks at work that absolutely threw her for a loop, she was determined to leap back on the wagon.  Down 5 pounds last week.  Awesome.  Boom.  Way to go Emily....you said you were going to do it, and you nailed it!  Heck yes!
Biggest change to her nutrition??  Eating breakfast, and eating more protein.  That's right, MORE food.
So proud of this one!

Another shout out to Christina who is now on month 4 of no soda.  From over 3 liters a day to NOTHING.  Awesome...your body thanks you :)

More to come next week.  My golf event at Equinox will be announced and if we're lucky perhaps another walk to work in 3 degrees... You can imagine my thoughts on that at 7am...




























































No comments:

Post a Comment